Zebra mussels

LAKAWA Knowledge Base - What are your secrets to wind and water success? Share what you've learned that may assist others.

Moderator: MK

Iceman

Zebra mussels

Post by Iceman »

Doing are part. Kill all Zebra mussels.
I think this is something we should be aware of and do are best not to transport them in are equipment { microscopic in size}. I clean my all my gear when I get home everything gets washed or rinsed. If you have that perfect spot that you love and want it to stay that way you need to be aware that you could transport them very easily. Mille Lacs and Minnetonka, Lake Waconia, Lake Washington, White Bear Lake. These are just a few lakes with Zebra mussels. The list is too long to put all of them here. For the people who do not wear feet protection you might want to rethink that. My booties saved me more than once last year. I stepped on the bottom of a broken bottle at Waconia that would have sent me to the ER and rumors have it that Zebra mussels have very sharp shells. Lets all be safe and protect are lakes.

• They can withstand short periods (several days) out of the water if conditions are moist and humid.
• Zebra mussel larvae (called veligers) are microscopic in size and are undetectable by the human eye. They can be unknowingly transported in boat live wells and bait buckets or anything that carries small amounts of water (even on SCUBA equipment).
• Generally, zebra mussels are small, averaging about an inch long. Two inches is approximately the maximum size. Their life span is four to five years. An adult female zebra mussel may produce between 30,000 to one million eggs per year. Spawning begins in the months from late spring to early summer by free-swimming larvae which are microscopic in size.
Even if we save one lake its better than none.

Dave