Kiting Superior in W-NW winds - Port wing, Duluth?? advice?

LAKAWA Knowledge Base - What are your secrets to wind and water success? Share what you've learned that may assist others.

Moderator: MK

Kevinousdigian

Kiting Superior in W-NW winds - Port wing, Duluth?? advice?

Post by Kevinousdigian »

The last week there have been 3 cranking days from west or NW on superior. I'm curious is there anywhere you can kite in Duluth that works on that direction (not the nice big swell but good wind like on south side of point).

What about Port Wing or Herbster? Are those kiting friendly launches like park point?
Please tell me exactly where to go for those spots. Outside chance a friend and I would go up there on Sat. from Shell Lake, WI.

KO
Kevin Ousdigian
Stroh

Re: Kiting Superior in W-NW winds - Port wing, Duluth?? advice?

Post by Stroh »

herbester is a fun spot but the waves are very close together.

the mouth of the amercon river is a good spot but there is an under water hasard to look out for and the launch is kinda sketchy.

the duluth harbor (south side of Park point) is where we are dealing with the restrictions from the airport. the winds are very gusty and fluky after comming down the hillside... I normaly skip the westerlies or head over to amercon.

Jon
Jon Stroh
Kevinousdigian

Post by Kevinousdigian »

Thanks Stroh. It sounds like Herbster is the best spot.
Where exactly do you go in herbster?
Is the launch safe there? Just sandy beach like at 222nd st?
Kevin Ousdigian
JRN

Post by JRN »

What is the underwater hazard at Americon? An old U-boat? How is your Hunter sailboat project coming? Need someone on the Jib sheet?
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
ollie

Post by ollie »

There are good spots all along the so. shore, some just harder to get to.
Any of the less used places have more driftwood on the beach making harder launching-linehandling etc. The mouth of the Amnicon river hazard is a old steel dock maybe 90yrds. from the parking area and is visible if you watch for it. The mouth of the Brule river could be good too but haven't been there since starting to kite & don't know the conditions. All around the Port wing area can be good includig the mouth of the small river just coming into town from the west. Next is Herbster and there is even a great little campground right on the beach, just head to the water when you get into town.
Cornucopia is the next town with a huge sand beach at the east end of town. Next is the NPS. access for the Squaw Bay caves about 5 m. out of town where some could kite & some could boat over to see the caves although good kiting wind would make the caves dangerous. Little sand bay is the next place easy to get to and the ranger said just keep the kite away from people & the mouth of the small marina there.
If you a have a boat there are more great places especially between Herbster & Corny some might even get a shore break in no. winds! Rember in the spring & early summer the cold lake tends to eat all but the stronger winds, good luck.
Bryan

PS How's the kiting on Shell Lake? It looks like an great spot.
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

jim,
boats comming along great. I am finishing off what needs to be done so Melissa and I can head to the apostles. we have been out sailing 6 days so far. probabily going out today to see what a small craft adviosory is like out there. :shock:
next time your in town give me a call, I could always use an extra deckhand.

jon
Jon Stroh
Kevinousdigian

Post by Kevinousdigian »

Stroh, Chip, Bryan or anyone else with info. If you could call me I'd appreciate it 763.218.8154. I want to be sure we're hitting the right spot. Sounds like port wing is the best place but I'm wondering if it will work on W or if it is even W-SW (too off shore). I'm also wondering which spot is best in port wing if that is place we should hit. Thanks
Kevin

PS Bryan - Shell Lake is really nice wide open lake that is great for sailing, windsurfing, or kiting.
Kevin Ousdigian