Surprise! Surprise! Humble Pie!

Share stores of your big days, soul rejuvenation experiences; moments that defy time.

Moderator: MK

Randy

Surprise! Surprise! Humble Pie!

Post by Randy »

Surprise! Surprise!

I had previously spent a wonderful week with a man who showed me how “all” of life is a gift, even the apparent disappointments. He convincingly showed me how all of my greatest insights have come through my most painful moments. Today was no exception.
Just when I was thinking I could actually figure out what wind and water might do, I’m HUMBLED!

I wrote in a previous post about “candy everywhere”. Big mistake. Davin and I got an early start for Mille Lacs and saw it was still SW when we arrived. We went to Hunters, but saw the cloudbank rolling in from the NW. With a sense of pride for my brilliant forecasting abilities, I told Davin we should drive over to Izaty’s, arriving just when the big winds hit. SURPISE! No big winds made it. We had thought we’d only be sailing with Kevin O., and then SURPRISE! The whole posse shows up. There had to be twenty sailors, many of whom are the best the state has to offer. I was thinking I’d hear all kinds of whining for our misfortune, and then, SURPISE! Everyone demonstrated great poise, fortitude and ‘suck it up’ attitude like I can only dream of. Some stayed and played and made the best of it and I hope were rewarded later for incredible patience. Many of us just couldn’t take it and drove on in pursuit of wind elsewhere. Brian took off back to Waconia. Judd and Diane left…White Bear? Davin and I took off to Duluth. When I came over the main ridge Sky Harbor automated was reporting 35 knots, with gusts over 50. It looked very gnarly from the ridge and I more or less thought it would be unsailable. Davin bagged it given how it looked and the fact that he had pushed his window with his girlfriend about as far as he could.
I pulled into a parking lot full of sailors like I’ve never seen…Duluth revived. Chris, a Duluth resident, had just pulled in after driving down to Mille Lacs. Dave (?) had just come in from his first experience on the big lake and had a smile ear to ear. He was on his way to Mille Lacs and at the turn off from I35 checked Duluth and Aitken. Very smart. The very weird thing was everyone was on 5-5.5M. For some reason, the very big wind was hanging out further down the point. Chip had recorded a 65MPH gust at 3pm just a few miles down from Tott Lott.
Anyway, sand’s blowing everywhere and I’m frantically rigging my 4.5M. I hit the water just as the wind’s dropping off. Direct onshore wind, big waves and not enough power are a bad combination. I go in and rig a 5M. Still, I can’t get out, but I’m getting worked with each attempt. Finally, it drops to 6.5M and we all decide to bag it. Just when I’ve de-rigged and put everything away, bam, it turns back on 4M. I can’t refuse the invitation, rig up again and go out with too much power. I get out in some terrain I haven’t seen for several years and find myself in front of one of the largest swells I’ve seen on this lake, or anywhere for that matter. The swell went forever and I thought I was far enough out for it not to break..SURPRISE! A wall of whitewater was crashing down all at once as far as I could see. This is what I’d been waiting for, and I was being served up to either enjoy or be devoured by this mountain of moving water. I took it with five bottom turns only to find myself completely on the inside once again. I went in, put about 5” of downhaul and 3” of outhaul on, went back out and it all felt great when SURPRISE! I hit a deadhead and ripped out my fin box in the middle of the most unfriendly whitewater. I limp back to shore and grab another board, this time thinking I’m now really set to rip it up now that I’m dialed..and SURPRISE! A rain squall comes in and kills the wind.

I’ve learned that I really, really like this tribe we belong to. I know we all made major changes of plan to be where we thought it would be best, I could ‘feel’ the pain of disappointment, but everyone had integrity to keep quiet about it. Somehow, I think everyone knows just how blessed we are to have the gift of windsurfing and how absurd it would be, what a dis-on-grace, to ever whine.

I learned that candy is never everywhere…if it were we’d get bored with it or get fat. I’ve learned I better keep my mouth shut about where I think it might be good. Just when I thought I was on top of my game, I’m deeply humbled by the complexity of this thing we call weather.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
pat taylor

Sailed Da Bear

Post by pat taylor »

Judd called me to to up to Mille Lacs. I was thinking about doing it, but my lower back was hurting. I thought it would wear off after a couple of hours, but it didn't. So I decided to stay and sail the Bear. I was rewarded with the best day I have had this year. I have been pretty discouraged with this year, but yesterday made up for it. I had the right rig for the wind, and it was great. I guess that saying still holds true: Don't leave wind to find wind, Today when I got up my back felt fine. Windsurfing must be a cure for lower back pain.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Now that's a story. Great reading of your adventures in search of the ride. Sounds like you were rewarded, numerous times over, with lessons and rides.

It just keeps coming at us doesn't it?

thanks for sharing it.
Tighe
Randy

As Brian says, "Come you bastards...let's hear how it w

Post by Randy »

Yea...it's amazing all the stories this sport gives us on big days. Pat gets some candy and the back's healed...thanks for sharing...we need to hear this. Yesterday, Brian was wondering why he liked to hear how it was when he wasn't in that place of candy and fulfilled expectation...he didn't know why...just innocently noted it.
I think that's what's so great about this site. It lets us share these stories and the gifts of the day...whether we got what we thought we'd get or got something completely different.
I know there are a lot more stories to be told besides what we've got from Tighe, Scott, Pat and me...come on...how often do you have a captive audience like this that wants to hear how the mystery worked you on May 30, 2003, in Minnesota?
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

yeah I agree. I remember one big session last year people posted from experiences around the state. It was great to hear about how the same system rolled through so many areas.

How was Pepin? Did Spirit go off? Haven't heard much from the Calhoun crowd in awhile. I hear it was great at Calhoun all day weds, even though Waconia was way up and down.

Not only different lakes but each person's experience of the day. It's great reading how someone elses day unfolded, sometimes very differently, at the same lake.

how was it for you?
Tighe
Mike W

Post by Mike W »

Just to set the record straight about Mille Lacs on Friday-- I got there at 10am to find sunshine and whitecaps. I quickly pumped up my 11.5 kite figuring that the wind was going to build but knowing there was enough wind to go. I was pleased to get out for more than an hour in some really nice swell with very consistent wind. I played it safe when the sky darkened and headed to shore. After it looked like the weather stabilized some, I headed back out. Soon the rain came and killed the wind.

Was the time on the water sensational and memorable? Definitely. Would I have spent 4 hours in the car knowing that is all I would get? No. As sweet as Mille Lacs can be, it will take a lot of persuading to get me to drive up there again when there is an excellent chance of good wind locally. I don't mind driving for some excellent sailing, but Mille Lacs is too fickle for my taste.
cp2616

Post by cp2616 »

Spirit was rockin' on Friday. But 40 knts and over is sketchy with the gear we have (no one I know here windsurfs). Last check it was blowing 29 gusting 42. I guess a couple folks were out on West Lake Okoboji windsurfing. Friday was the third day this spring it has been, dare I say, too windy. That was OK though as we were blessed here on Wednesday with an amazing West Lake session. I'm hoping for more this week.

Casey
Pete

Post by Pete »

As of 4:30 on Friday Pepin wasn't happening either. I'll bet CB got some action later in the day. I spent most of the afternoon waiting for the wind to shift and build. I should have gone to Byllesby.