DIY Custom Lightwind/Beginner Board

Share stores of your big days, soul rejuvenation experiences; moments that defy time.

Moderator: MK

Micahmo80

DIY Custom Lightwind/Beginner Board

Post by Micahmo80 »

After trying very hard to get up on a smaller board and then blowing out my eardrum by using too big of a kite early on, I decided the safest way to learn better was a bigger board with a smaller kite. I wasn't prepared to spend a great deal of money on a new board and I LOVE building things and take a lot of pride in my projects. Well, after building a rocker table and custom board platform to work on, I cranked out my first board, the Anomaly 144x43. It is solid Poplar and birch laminated with fiberglass. I printed the logos on the top on transperancy sheets and hand drew the graphic on the bottom. I "borrowed" the fins and bindings of an older Naish board I have and I am very happy with how it came out. It is a bit heavy, but it rides very well! Going from a 137 to this 144, I feel like I am riding on a picnic table out there, but I have rode on it a few times now in winds from 8-25mph paired with an older 12M Turbo Diesel. Now my son wants his own Deadwood Custom Board! Well, back to the shop!
Board.jpg
Board.jpg (82.73 KiB) Viewed 15447 times
Board1.jpg
Board1.jpg (101.07 KiB) Viewed 15447 times
Board2.jpg
Board2.jpg (51.56 KiB) Viewed 15447 times
Board4.jpg
Board4.jpg (50.33 KiB) Viewed 15447 times
"You can't stop the wind, so you may as well learn how to fly a kite!"