Coolest thing experinced on the water?

Share stores of your big days, soul rejuvenation experiences; moments that defy time.

Moderator: MK

pbeytien

Flying Fish & Waterfowl

Post by pbeytien »

Both my X-periences involved sailing with creatures: I was screaming on a reach 'cross Laguna Madre @ S. Padre when I looked down to see a flying fish jumping in and out of my wake and keeping pace with me..I then looked around and realized I was among a whole school of them. Musta been 5 dozen of more!!! I wanted it to last, so I stayed on the heading almost to Port Isabel on the mainland...I backed off, but they kept on booking towards shore....Switch scenes to the fall on WBL off
Ramsey...The Sun was setting and glaring in my eyes.. I thought I glimpsed something ahead, but before I could react I had startled a flock of Coots rafting on the water....They all took flight at once and flew straight into me...It was quite a rush, and amazed me that we didn't colide...In both cases I felt as though I'd sailed right into an Esher drawing....FISH&FOWL&FISH&FOWL&FISH&FOWL.... :P 8) :lol: :o :) :wink: :roll:

Re: Flying Fish & Waterfowl

Post by Guest »

miJnnamroN wrote:Both my X-periences involved sailing with creatures: I was screaming on a reach 'cross Laguna Madre @ S. Padre when I looked down to see a flying fish jumping in and out of my wake and keeping pace with me..I then looked around and realized I was among a whole school of them. Musta been 5 dozen of more!!! I wanted it to last, so I stayed on the heading almost to Port Isabel on the mainland...I backed off, but they kept on booking towards shore....
Did the fish have a pointed snout? I've heard horror stories about flying needlefish. Needlefish not aiming for humans

I did hit a fish once with my fin on Lake Mead in Nevada. I think they have schools of Striped Bass there, but I never saw the fish.

I have had a life long quest to do a perfect jibe so my coolest memories are of jibe attempts. I can still remember a couple good jibes from over 10 years ago on Calhoun. They were effortless almost Zen-like "be the board" moments. The sun and moon must have lined up because I haven't done any jibes as good since.
Paul F

Post by Paul F »

I forgot to log in and I was still able to post as guest above by mistake,
Jim N

Flying Fish

Post by Jim N »

I'm no marine biologist, but we always called the fish jumping along the gulf shore shallows "flying-fish". Luckily I've never been stuck by a needle fish, or slapped in the face by an asian carp!! But, on this trip to "Padre" the mullets were schooling on the bay...they were also jumping out of the water, but in a more random pattern...Below the surface they were thick as sardines...reminded me of feeding time at a fish farm..You could feel them bouncing of your fin if you sailed through them..That night we had "all you could eat" fish at Pirate's Landing..I thought I recognized my fin slash on the fillet they served me..Yep, no doubt it was made by a rainbow weed speed!!! :lol: :D :o :wink: :roll:
paul_r

Post by paul_r »

The number one memerable experiance was in Padree last spring with my son. Even though he has windsurfed here in Minnesota for a few years, he never really quite got it. But down there, the second day, I traded riggs with him (bigger sail, taller boom) and he took off like a rocket, and got right in the straps. He came back and told me he wasn't giving it back to me and I would have to get another board. How it that for "thanks Dad?" :P

Moonlight sailing on lake Marion was cool. It got so dark, my buddy and I couldn't see each other until just moments before we would pass. Helping to teach a girl to windsurf was nice. Windsurfing in 40+ mph in padre, sailing over the coral in Bonaire. Then there are 100 of firsts, -- first time planing, first time in the harness, first time in the straps, fist jibe, first launch, first walk of "shame" first jump. etc etc etc. This kite boarding on the snow is really cool too. The speed Sunday morning at Mille Lacs was really cool.

I always thought of taking a windsurfer to the BWCA so it was interesting in reading the stories about it. Since we only windsurf on the windiest of days, the rangers are all probably hunkered down.