La Ventana, Mexico...

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Shane

La Ventana, Mexico...

Post by Shane »

Just booked our trip to La Ventana for Jan. '09!
Has anyone kited down there? If so, your thoughts and insider information would be much appreciated, easily worth a beer.
Gracias,
sss
JRN

Re: La Ventana, Mexico...

Post by JRN »

WENT THERE DECADES AGO (to windsurf)...back then there were no improved roads, cattlle and horses roamed free, so night driving was sketchy. If I went back I'd buy a package from a well known outfitter, at least for one trip, and leave the transport to them. The conditons were fabulous, and alot less challenging than the Pacific side of Baja, with gorgeous desert scenery. You knew you had blown too far down wind if you reached "LOS MUERTOS" point. Legend says early explorers found dead bodies who'd been stranded there! If you are flying make sure to explore Los Cabos. Excellent diving or snorkeling by el Arco, a natural stone arch at the tip of Baja. Cabo has lots of great clubs, hotels, restaurants, and the whale watching is the best. You'll LOVE it!! :mrgreen:
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

was there about 7 years ago. It is a sweet spot. Essentially it is a huge bay so breakdowns only result in a long walk back up the beach.

Lots of places to stay or camp. Great wind that time of year.

ikitesurf.com used to have a pretty good review of the area on their site.

ride on
Tighe
jvpaint

Post by jvpaint »

I was there 2 years ago in January. It's a kiters paradise. I was windsurfing and I was outnumbered
10 to 1 by Kitesurfers. There is a camping city that has developed there, it's mostly californians who
drive down with there RV's and make it there home for the winter. If your planning on camping it's
tight quarters. I'd recommend staying at Palapas Ventana. They don't rent gear but I'm assuming your
bringing your own. They have great cabanas perched on a hillside overlooking the bay. Also serve great
meals. The selection of resturants there is very limited. You'll have plenty of places to eat fish tacos which are awsome but after a week it gets old quick. By the way it's chilly there at night and the water
is colder than I thought it would be, be prepared. Good luck and have fun, if its windy its the best.