Thank you :) - update!!!

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Michelle

Thank you :) - update!!!

Post by Michelle »

Thank you everybody who helped me off the beach last night.
It is all a bit of a blur, but I don't know what I would have done without you guys.
Terry - your splint worked perfectly and made the car ride to the hospital more manageable.
Denis- thank you so much for packing up my kites :)
Jeff G - thank you for coming over and checking I was OK, I am pretty sure I was just a crying bobbing head at the time.
Tighe, Katie and a couple of others who helped, sorry if I forgot you all.
The x-ray came out clean for major breaks, but they couldn't detect hairline fractures or ligament damage.
I still can't put weight on it, and its super sore, but luckily it was my left leg so I can still drive :)
Scheduling an MRI today, so hopefully they can find out whats wrong with it.

Again, thank you so much everybody - you all proved how great a community this is.

Michelle
Last edited by Michelle on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick R

Re: Thank you :)

Post by Rick R »

Hey Michelle
Best wishes and hopefully a fast recovery, it sucks to get hurt. :(
Rick R
Lee_Uptown

Post by Lee_Uptown »

Michelle, sorry to hear about your injury...
We'll get some take out dim sum for you, and tofu faa or even char siu pau! Send me an email (leexx638@umn.edu) if you feel like having some. I'm sure it'll make you feel better as well.

We wish you a speedy recovery! Hope to see you soon!

Eu Han, John and Austin
TomG

Post by TomG »

Aww man .. that sucks sorry to hear that .. hope you get better.

what happened ?
The real pro isnt the one who doesn't make a mistake. The real pro is the one that does the best job hiding it!
Michelle

Post by Michelle »

I was working on my jumps, and my landings. I had been careful to stay upwind and play in the deep water, and had consistently been landing in over to 4 feet of water. On this jump things felt weird, so I kicked off my board and tried to land on my back. Unfortunately I hit the water before I thought and landed straight legged on a raised sand bed. It was probably only 1 foot of water, so pretty much took the whole impact on my left leg which made my knee "pop" and that was the end of that.

Lessons learned:

1 - if you think its deep enough, go deeper!
2 - kite around other people, so when things get hairy somebody notices you (I was lucky that people saw me)
3 - learn how far you can be taken downwind when you are jumping - you might start off way up in the lake, but a big jump can make you travel way further than you ever imagined.

Saying all of that, I finally got the whole jumping thing :)

Some healing time and more instructional DVD watching and I will be back out there!
TomG

Post by TomG »

bummer. well hope all is ok and get well soon.

although your Rule number 2 should come with a disclaimer "but not to close to other people"
The real pro isnt the one who doesn't make a mistake. The real pro is the one that does the best job hiding it!
krazykatie

Post by krazykatie »

I wish you a fast recovery Michelle!!! I hope its not too major and you're back out soon!!!

I only jump in front of the peeps on the beach or in the middle of the kite crowd for that very reason. I feel safe when i know people are watching or can see me in case something goes wrong. I know most people jump in front of the crowd to show off but not me....well not yet anyway :wink:
Midwest Mountaineering/Slingshot Regional Team Rider
cautionkid

Post by cautionkid »

Hey sorry to hear about the knee looks like Ill be the only one representing the Cult for a bit. It sounds like to me that you had the same type of injury I had about a 1 1/2 yrs ago. Some advice don't let the trees swaying outside the window influence you to get back out on the water too soon. Because no matter what the Doctors say, it all kind of goes out the window when you have to have that fix of kiting. When you do make your mind up that your getting back out on the kite get a knee brace with metal support, not just a cheap neopreme one with no metal they don't work I have tried many. I am to the point where I could go without one but I have wornen it for so long that my brain thinks something isn't right and my knee starts throbbing. Well hope the best for you and hope to see those Cults in the sky again.
Paul
steveb

Post by steveb »

Michele..so sorry to hear you injured yourself. I hope it's just a strain.

Point # 1 in your post is very wise and definately a mantra to live by.I shall do my best to take your advise.

Happy healing.
Regional Ozone Team rider
TJ

Post by TJ »

sorry to hear that ....get well soon!!!

:mrgreen:
Enjoying life and Windancing.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Glad I could help, but wish I could do more.

Take care of that knee.
(================P-</
Sponsored by Slingshot Kiteboarding
RobH

Post by RobH »

Bummer on the injury :(

Let us know what the MRI shows as hopefully its just strained and bruised. If it is more serious I have a recommendation for a Orthopedic surgeon out of Burnsville that repaired both of my ACL's and rotary cuff that does specialize on knee's, is sports minded and does excellent work with a immediate re-hab plan. Hoping for the best
Rob Hyland
Cabrinha Shop Rider / Lakawa Team Rider
johnz

Post by johnz »

Michelle,
Best wishes for a speedy recovery - that sounded like it HURT!!

- John Z
tnautique

Post by tnautique »

It is lucky to land on the feet than landing by the back. Hope you get well soon !
Michelle

Re: Thank you :) - update

Post by Michelle »

Well the results are in, and I wanted to let those guys who helped me off the beach know how grateful I am
My doctor said that I was really, really lucky as my ligaments and cartilage survived intact :)
I did manage to fracture my tibial plateau though, so no kiting for me for a few weeks at least.
I threw on some MRI scans for those interested.
The top image shows the fractures just below my knee - they are hi-lighted with arrows.
The lower image shows the blood surrounding my knee cap and the fracture line all along my tibia.
Anyway, thanks again to everybody - I will see you along the shore-line soon :)
Attachments
knee3.jpg
knee3.jpg (59.57 KiB) Viewed 5116 times
knee2.jpg
knee2.jpg (50.69 KiB) Viewed 5115 times
RobH

Re: Thank you :) - update!!!

Post by RobH »

Thats Great News!!! When you said you heard a pop I was afraid your ACL was torn. Sounds like you will be riding for sure in Padre!
Rob Hyland
Cabrinha Shop Rider / Lakawa Team Rider
TJ

Post by TJ »

You will be fine...just do what doctor said!!!
Advice: Do not rent Zohan..........it is really bad!! :mrgreen:
Enjoying life and Windancing.
Jeff G

Post by Jeff G »

That's great news Michelle. I'm glad to hear you'll be back on the water soon. See you out there.

Jeff