Local Ice

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Barry P

Local Ice

Post by Barry P »

I stopped by White Bear Lake this afternoon.

Ramsey Beach had a sample hole drilled about 20 yards from shore at the boat landing. The ice was just under 4 inches, but was nice and smooth under the light snow... a very skateable surface :) . I would expect the channel to be thinner.

I also stopped at Bellaire. No sample holes to be found there. The ice was very rough from breaking & freezing in the wind we had over Thanksgiving. The jumbled surface stretched out a couple hundred yards or more. I didn't walk out very far. Southern shorelines are going to need some snow pack for kiting.
mjwinter

Local Ice

Post by mjwinter »

Thanks, Barry! I was waiting for that report. We should be set for south winds this weekend if we are blessed with them.
Barry P

Lake Josephine

Post by Barry P »

I checked the ice at Lake Josephine (between 694 & 36 on Lexington) today from the landing on the NE corner. There were several fishing holes drilled and two portable houses out there. The ice was around 5 inches.
Barry P

Lake Joesephine

Post by Barry P »

.... and the ice was smooooth :)