Preseason Warmup Weekend

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

bmr

Preseason Warmup Weekend

Post by bmr »

Hey All,

Would anyone be interested in a preseason warm-up at a local ski area ie. Afton? I thinking Sat/Sun - a smooth day of freeriding...hopefully the terrain park is open for bidniss!

C ya,
Brad
Have kite, will travel.
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Hey BMR,

I know it's far for folks in the cities but I'm headed out to Powder Ridge again this weekend. Main reason is the kiteable ice on School Section Lake just a mile or so west of there. Plus it helps that I have a season pass.

If there is a breeze of more than 5mph we will be there around 12-1PM.

Here's a map. Take Hwy 55 west to Kimbal (intersection of 55 and 15) or take 94 to St. Cloud and south on 15.

http://www.downhaul.com/misc/021204/schoolsection.gif
RobH

Welch

Post by RobH »

Hey Eric,
Didnt you get a pass for Welch as well ? Im heading to Welch for sure on Saturday, maybe opt for Powder Ridge on Sunday. I will be at Powder Ridge on Thursday night if your riding then. Snow at Welch was superb on Sunday, soft great edge hold and all the fun runs open. Well worth the drive ! They even have a webcam this year on there webpage!
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Ya, I gots a pass to Welch and Powder Ridge/Buck Hill. I have not been down to Welch yet. I'm planning on doing some "trips" there. Staying at my folks and hitting some midweek mornings. My dad also got a pass there and I'm looking forward to doing some boarding with him.

The snow was decent Fri/Sat/Sun at PR. We have not brought out the carve boards yet cause we are having so much fun practicing for kiting on the slope. We are trying little pops and tricks on the flats. We are not that good cause we are too old but it's coming along.

The best thing I have done so far was forcing myself to ride fakie all day Sunday. I rode backwards 90 percent of the time. I learned alot and got alot better. I'm starting to carve some turns fakie.

I know that Welch is a much better slope but I'm having so much fun learning different stuff that the hill doesn't really matter, as long as there is a lift.

Plus, the obvious thing, is that there is high speed kiting on the lake close by. Let's hope for some snow and cold to get things going down south.
bmr

Re:eR

Post by bmr »

Hey Eric,

Hmm......Powder Ridge.....How's the snowcover there? Do they have a terrain park? I may have to check it out...never been there all the years I've been snowboarding.

C ya,
Brad
Have kite, will travel.
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

They don't get there park and pipe going until all the runs are open. They do have a box up but I stay away from there. Here's a picture from this:

http://www.powderridge.com/11-30-02%20box.JPG

The place is similar to Buck Hill. It's not the best but it's close to other stuff for me.
RobH

parks and pipe

Post by RobH »

I have heard Buck has a decent 1/4 pipe going, mainly because it is built into the side of the hill and they dont have to move snow to make it. Welch and Powder both use all snow to construct the pipes and parks so they dont show up until later in the season, as Eric mentioned there primary focus is to get all the runs open before working on parks and pipes.

Eric , you best make the drive to Welch before the snowpack hits the lakes. It will be that much tougher to drive away from kiting when we have snow cover - I never did like the landings on ice!
bmr

Re:eR II

Post by bmr »

Eric and Rob,

Thanks for the info! I'll try to be at PR around opening (um, when is that exactly?) - I like boarding when the snowbunnies are waking up and preparing to head out after eating some GrapeNutz or sippin' cocoa, and the rubbernecks are still tucked away in their beds...anyways...my buddy Sloth should be showing up later in the day.

C ya,

Brad
Have kite, will travel.
Eric S

Re:eR II

Post by Eric S »

bmr wrote:Eric and Rob,

I'll try to be at PR around opening (um, when is that exactly?)
9AM sat and sun. see you there!
bmr

Saturday...

Post by bmr »

Hey Eric and Rob,

Something came up, and now I can't make it until 2pm or so...hopefully i'll still see ya'll there!

- Brad
Have kite, will travel.
Eric S

Re: Saturday...

Post by Eric S »

Go straight to the lake, that's where we'll be at that time.
bmr wrote:Hey Eric and Rob,

Something came up, and now I can't make it until 2pm or so...hopefully i'll still see ya'll there!

- Brad