cheap flights to costa rica - Any advice on costa rica ?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

RobH

cheap flights to costa rica - Any advice on costa rica ?

Post by RobH »

MLT charters offering air for $169 departing 12/21 for 7 nights. Looking for any input on the 2 sailing destinations, equipment rental, where to stay.
Last edited by RobH on Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

funny you ask. I've asked Bill and Scott to submit some info for the destinations page. They've both spent considerable time down there.

Here's what I know:

Lake Arenal is a large lake (17miles long) about 3 hours from San Jose or 1 hour from Liberia. it is on the continental divide, clouds to the east, sun to the west. It is nestled in a long valley between lush green mountains with a active volcano at one end.

Windy season is January-March
Winds can range from 25-40 mph daily. Many times you'll never use anything bigger than a 4.7m and have many days on 3.5s.

Accomodations
Norms Rock River Lodge. Rustic beautiful cabins, rooms, etc. Wonderful open air Restaurant and bar about 3 miles up the mountain, overlooking the lake and looking to the west south for great sunrises and sunsets. Great food, many other windsurfers. Sailing is a short ride (10min) down the mountain.

Tilawa
Beautiful Hotel on the other side of the valley. Greek design, much more civilized with pool etc. Sailing is a short walk down a path to the water. On northern slope so you are in shade much sooner and don't get the sunsets.

Vilas Alpino
Very rustic, cabinas near Norms. Great for seclusion and privacy. Easy walk to Norms for food or cook your own in the kitchenettes.

There are others though their names escape me. You can also rent rooms in the towns for real cheap if you are looking to stay awhile.

Rentals
Rental equipment is either from Tico Winds (Norm's side of the lake) or Tilawa. Both offer top notch rental high wind gear. Usually brand new. Tico Winds have the famous Gorge Animals with 5 bonzers for added control in the mega winds.

Excursions Extraordinare can arrange the trip for you or you may do a search for Norm's Rock River Lodge. He may handle it all for you.

If it doesn't blow there are many things to do, explore the rain forests, take river trips, bird watch, soak in hot rivers that pour out of the volcano, etc.

I've never sailed the ocean in Costa Rica. I hear it is pretty good. The resort is in a large bay. Anyone else have more info?

Any info people have to add, please contribute and I'll post it in Destinations when we are through.
Tighe
stevenP

Costa Rica

Post by stevenP »

I was there for my first time from Nov. 2nd-Nov. 14th (pre-season) and had a blast. Here are my recommendations.

Driving sucks. We rented a Kia Rio (small, cheap sedan) and kind of regretted it. It made it everywhere we wanted to go but it was a bit scary at times. At one time we had the front of the hood underwater as we crossed a stream. But we went to places that they said only to go with a 4-wheel drive. If you are going to get a car, understand in advance that they require (by law they told us) getting mandated insurance (on top of what is provided by gold card). So the rental was a cheap $93/wk but the insurance was about $20 extra a day.

As for windsurfing, we stayed at Tilawa, which was the only rental place open that early in the season. It is a great place. John-Paul the owner was very nice and it has an incredible view. http://www.hotel-tilawa.com/surf/equip.html
Their rental equipment are Cascade boards (which looked kinda beat up) and the very beat up (all with their tips broken and repaired) Minstral Flows that we were required to use because the wind wasn't too strong. The biggest sail they had were 5.8m's and often I could have used larger
I was traveling with a non-windsurfer so I only windsurfed three mornings. As for other recommendations, I highly recommend going to the Manuel Antonio National Park. Lots of monkies, snakes, iguana's and some nice beaches too.

If you have more questions, email me.
skenny@mn.rr.com
sPk
RobH

Air to Liberia dropped to $169 RT 12/21-12/28

Post by RobH »

Anyone in need of a good Xmas present ? High winds, reasonable accomondations - Dirt cheap flight ! check out the red hot deals on MLT charters to book this flight - I cant go :(

$169 round trip to Liberia!!!!!! 12/21-12/28