Crossing this weekend

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Tighe

Crossing this weekend

Post by Tighe »

Just a reminder, this weekend is the Crossing on Mille Lacs. This is a weekend long event put on by Fleet 8. There will be freeriding, a boarder cross and some other activities as the conditions permit. This is the first year as a combined windsurfing and kiteboarding event.

Those of you who have attended any of the Fleet 8 events know that they put on quite an event. Registration includes the banquet, breakfast, a sweatshirt.

The race itself is invite only for this first year as safety protocol is being tested. The race is only a small part of the entire weekend of activities.

see you up there..
Last edited by Tighe on Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tighe
Woody

Post by Woody »

Hey Tighe, just to clarify the 'invitation' portion is for kiter's only. I know that's what you meant to write, just didn't come across as that.

We will be making the treck to Mille Lacs a with a possy! See ya's on Friday!!

YEEHAA :P
dtownkiter

Post by dtownkiter »

Sounds like another fun weekend. I think I am heading up Friday after work or most likely Saturday morning. If anyone would like to split a room or is leaving near the same time and wants to car pool, let me know. Give me shout at 218.349.3577

Hopefully see you all this weekend.

Adam.

Oh sorry, is anyone camping or know of a good place to camp?
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

Extreem action sports is going to be holding demos on equiptment all weekend.
they have a bunch of new 08 liquidforce kites, boards and bindings. there will also be some flexifoil kites and board for demo

find me or peter if you want to try something out

Jon
Jon Stroh
Michael F

Post by Michael F »

Moving beyond the 25th has proven to be equal to any challenge since it's inception in '82. After losing over a third of our support craft, we have managed to recruit adequate replacements. Tighe has created our new logo for the sweatshirt and it truly reflects the emerging of an iconic event like the Mille Lacs Crossing into the first major event combining both kiting and windsurfing. We have a very talented group of kiters that responded to the invitation-only offering to sail in the first water Crossing for kiters. And all kiters are invited to test their skills on the same courses that the windsurfers do as well as on the first boarder-cross course in this region.

We anticipated that some of the kiters would experience sticker shock at the registration fee. Besides the winter Kite Crossing, all of the other events have been free. The only water event has been the Gathering that is strictly social benefitting from the communication on Lakawa and other forums.

The fee for the qualified kiters is basically the same fee the windsurfers have been paying. It costs us over $3,000 to put the 10-12 support craft on the lake, a bargain when you consider it could run well over $5000 if we paid for their true value. The fee has gone up 20% since 2000, but gas prices have gone up five times that much in the same period. Needless to say, we could run the event much more economically if Mille Lacs and the Twin Cities were side by side. And kiters participating in the non-Crossing events pay only $40 which barely covers the two meals and sweatshirt. We would definitely like to reduce these fees, but until the communities become better organized and focused, we can only benefit from the time and energy of the few who commit to presenting world-class events.

Today was the last chance to mail advanced registration, but if it got by you, we will be accepting electronic advanced registration until the end of day on Wednesday. If you have registered for a Fleet 8 event in the past few years, all we need is your name, category, shirtsize and changes in address if applicable. There appears to be adequate lodging still available. Please contact fleet-8@juno.com for registration materials
Director of Fleet 8
fleet-8@juno.com
JRN

E-Mail REZ

Post by JRN »

Just e-mailed in my Reservation! Can't wait to see everybody on my favorite BODY (of water) & to see 20 kites going for it. Any bets on who's
faster? Kite vs. Sail...hmmmm. :roll: JRN
Eric P

Post by Eric P »

It's supposed to be a south wind, If it goes thermal, the kites will have a good shot. If it is wind on the ground, the windsurfers will win the day. I'm excited to try it out. Does anyone know if this has ever been done before. Kites ard windsurfers duking it out in a long distance race together?
Eric
steveb

Post by steveb »

They recently did something in San Francisco. 18th foot skiff, formula board and a kiter. The skiff won, kite 2nd and then the formula board.

I think it has a lot to do with the conditions as which will be fastest. Light winds....game on.
Regional Ozone Team rider
Michael F

Post by Michael F »

Gee Eric, aren't we usually the first to do these things? Actually, windsurfers, kiters and Aussie 18' skiffs race in the Bridge to Bridge race in San Francisco. It is a downwind run from the Golden Gate to the Bay Bridge with a direct-line distance of about 6 miles. Not quite what we are proposing as a challenge.
Director of Fleet 8
fleet-8@juno.com
Michael F

Post by Michael F »

We have failed to provide vital info on our posts. So here it is.
Agenda:
Friday, September 28th

10:00 AM - Registration - Garrison Beach
10:45 AM - Racer's Meeting - Garrison Beach
7:30 PM - Registration & Check-in - Y-Club
8:30 PM - Welcome Party - Y-Club
Saturday, September 29th
9:00 AM - Check-in & Breakfast - Y-Club
10:45 AM - Racer's Meeting - Y-Club
7:30 PM - Banquet and Party - Y-Club
Sunday, September, 30th
10:30 AM - Racer's Briefing - Garrison Beach
4:00 PM - Awards Party - Y-Club

Registration: Please note, the Crossing will be limited to the first 100 registrants.
Advanced registration is appreciated since it is vital to the success of the Crossing.
Fees (U.S. funds) for advance registration:
Participant (kiter/windsurfer) $75.00
Kiter (participant w/o crossing) $40.00
Guest $35.00
Late registration, at the site, Friday only:
Participant $120.00
Kiter (participant w/o crossing) $50.00
Guest $40.00
The fee includes the welcome party, sweatshirt, breakfast, banquet & party on Saturday, and the awards party on Sunday. There will also be a $20 bib deposit required at check-in.

Please note that late registration at the site will be on Friday only. There will be no late registration Saturday morning, pre-registered check-in only.

We will accept electronic advanced registration through Wednesay
Director of Fleet 8
fleet-8@juno.com
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Mike just read me the list of kite competitors for the first crossing. It's going to be a tight race. It is a list of some of the areas best kiters. I think more than anything it's going to come down to equipment choice.

I've heard some say they were going small as they can with their board, to minimize drag and blast through the chop. Others talking about going big and fearing no lulls. It will be interesting to see what the perfect combo for the day will be.

In case it was missed, it sounds like there will be course racing on Friday and a Boarder Cross on Sunday, open to all, weather permitting of course. There's been some talk about Big Air and Freestyle comps as well. Hopefully it will all fall into place at the Racers Meeting each morning.

Should be fun weekend.
Tighe
Woody

Post by Woody »

haha :lol: sounds alot like us windsurfers before a Crossing. What sail size, what board size etc, etc.

I'm on for a bet! I'll say the windsurfer's kick butt :P

Steve: light winds(10 knots) you're on dude!!
dhopkins

Post by dhopkins »

Woody you going formula or prodigy this year? Hope many windsurfers show up, last years new format was fun.
HI4
alf

Post by alf »

There is a small group of us Iowans camping at Pete's retreat near Malmo. We are bringing instruments, so should be a good time.
Alfie
Woody

Post by Woody »

Hey HT,

I'll be on my F O R M U L A up to 20 knots, after that I think Mille Lacs will be a little too lumpy for a 100cm wide board

:P Can't wait1
johnz

Post by johnz »

Where/what is 'Pete's Retreat'? Is it a bona fide campground? Hot showers? Rates, etc.?

Thanks,
John
John Z
Midwest Mountaineering/Slingshot Regional Team Rider
alf

Post by alf »

Pete's has showers,etc. It is a bonafide campground about 1/4 mile from Malmo. (very close). Don't know if the activities will be closer to Garrison, but it is a nice place to camp.
go to petesretreat.com to check it out.
They close for the season on monday i believe.
Alfie