widestyle or formula

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Tony

widestyle or formula

Post by Tony »

I've had an AHD Diamond Race 72 for a couple of years now and absolutely loved it. My wife is taking possession of it for next year, so I'm lokking to buy a replacement light wind board. I weigh 190, need to use a weed fin, and would like to use my 7.5. 8.5, and 10.5 sails with it. I planned to buy a GT85, but am being told by quite a few people to just get a formula board. I would like input from people with experience on both as to differences in gybing feel, speed and overall fun between the two.
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

If you are planning on racing get a full-on fourmula board. If you want a good all around board that will work with those sails get Rich V Go200 in Classifieds. I know it's in good shape. He also has a weedfin to go with it.
Rich v

Go200 board

Post by Rich v »

Thanks Eric!

The GO 200 board has the same hull design as the Starboard Free Formula 198, just with a soft EVA deck. It saves a lot of scraping of knees if you can't waterstart and have to crawl onto the board. I only used the board about 5 times earlier this year - no damage. The board comes with footstraps and a 54cm fin.

Rich
rhvonlehe@yahoo.com
763-416-0496
Tony

Post by Tony »

Thanks Eric and Rich, but the go 200 is too big; I don't want to go over 150 liters. If anyone has any experience with the AHD GT85, please let me know.
Coach

Board Choice

Post by Coach »

If you loved the AHD, you are probably looking for something a little more high-strung than the average soft-deck or compromised "all-around" design. One of the Starboard Formula boards in the standard construction (D-Ram. they also have a wood construction that is lighter, but probably not worth it if you are not racing) would be a great board for someone who likes the 72 that much. I used to sail the 72, and love that board, as well!

The Starboards are very fast, forgiving, and comfortable to ride. I'm using a Bic FW that is not as friendly to ride as the starboards I've been on, and the only upside is (maybe) a little more speed in certain conditions.

I think the House might have some killer deals, less than a $1000, on the Starboard Formula 156 or 186. At your weight, I'd recommend the 186 unless you really have your heart set on that 150liter range.

-Coach
Tony

Post by Tony »

Coach: Would you recommend the Formula type boards over the AHD GT85? They have both on sale now at the House. Other than pointing ability and a slight advantage in early planing, is there any other reason to consider them? I don't intend to go larger than a 10.5 sail, which the GT can handle, and I'm thinking the GT would be more fun to ride that the ultra wides. Tony
Rich v

note about Star-board widestyles

Post by Rich v »

The displacement they give for their wide style boards is not actual displacement. In my board's case, even though they list displacement as 200 liters, it is actually more like 170. Eric's 2001 GO was listed at 180, but it was actually 159 liters. If you talk to starboard and are persistent, they will break down and admit that the numbers they publish are what they call "apparent volume".
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

I think they called that "Virtual Volume"

It's hard to judge the new wide-style-potato-chip boards solely on volume anymore.

There were a bunch of "heavies" like Micha down at Corpus last year on the Mistral "Devil" http://www.mistral.com/windsurfing/devil_xl.htm which is about 130L and flying up wind in heavy seas.

I was out there in the same conditions with my 2001 GO, although I didn't do as well :-) the GO ate chop like crazy. I would have rather been on a GO200, which wasn't in production, so I could have carried a bigger fin and sail.

Since then I've sold my GO and took up kiting in light winds (less than 20mph). Plus, you can wave sail with it if you take you back foot out. Hey Pete!

If at all possible, try before you buy. I'm guilty as hell of this since I like to keep sailing the board brands I know.

Good Luck!

http://www.star-board.com/askteam/read.asp?ID=883
Tony

Post by Tony »

Eric: Thanks for the lead on the Starboard forum. Great info!