Carrying/shipping Windsurf equipment?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Dopper

Carrying/shipping Windsurf equipment?

Post by Dopper »

I was recently down in the Southwestern part of USA and tried to bring back a sail I had purchased. I called the airlines (Sun Country) and they told me I couldn't check any luggage over 6 ft. long unless it was golf clubs or skies. I ask her about windsurf equipment and she told me that they listed windsurf equipment on her sheet and that you could bring one board-one sail- and one mast but... they couldn't exeed 6 ft. in length? I told her that none of that equipment is under 6 ft and she responded that she could only go by what's on her approved list?
Has anyone tried to bring equiment with them somewhere?
There must be some way to do it?
Any help or explanation of the rules I would appreciate. Any airline employess out there? Thank you for any info! Doug
DDD
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

I've flown with all my windsurfing equipment in the past though that was before 9/11. I always thought there was just an additional charge for larger items. I've never heard of someone being refused to bring something. Everything has changed and are changing since 9/11.

Another option is to just ship it back via ups or something. Probably a drop station right at the airport. Most likely be less than what the airline would charge.
Tighe
jvpaint

Post by jvpaint »

I've flown a lot to mexico with equipment on a few different airlines, and I've never had a problem. However I've never done it on suncountry. It seems to me that it really depends on who is at the luggage counter. Luck of the draw. Sometimes they charge me 50.00, but many times they haven't charged me anything. American Airlines seems to be the most cooperative. Northwest is pretty good. Also since 911 it doesn't seem to have made much difference. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Joe V