Exocet Kona or Maholo.

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

steveb

Exocet Kona or Maholo.

Post by steveb »

Anyone ridden either of these boards and has an opinion they'd share?
Woody

Post by Woody »

Hey Steve!

"High Tech Dave" (Hopkins) was on a Kona at The Crossing and was smokin'along with his big RS4 race sail. I checked the board out and the shape looks great! I was behind HT Dave (for a short time..hehehe) during the Crossing and was very impressed with the board speed and just general look of the Kona ripping through the water! I sure wish I would have taken up HT's offer and hopped on it for a spin!!

:P
steveb

Post by steveb »

Hey Woody..thanks, How cold is it up there?.
Woody

Post by Woody »

It's cold!

Look HERE :shock:
JRN

Blaine's Garage Sale?

Post by JRN »

Saw your gear in the classifieds. Are you really shopping for more windsurf gear? Rode my old Veloce last weekend. Lost all my timing on the jibes. Felt good to rip again, but was sore in all the wrong places afterwards. Definitely uses a whole set of different muscles! Did Exocet ever iron out their delam probs? I heard the earlier ones had "issues." :roll: Jim N.
steveb

Post by steveb »

I was thinking about getting one board so I could get out for a sail and maybe do the odd race, when I thought about it I realised my most pleasant days over the years were railing a longboard, or track back with all that nose in front blasting along. I guess I'm reverting to roots.
But the other boards I just don't use now so I'd like to create space.
Plug, all those prices I asked are negotiable so if someones interested in one of the boards don't hesitate to make offers.

Woody...looking at that weather you need to fatten up Woodette, she's too skinny to give off enough heat for that weather, maybe you should move south?.
Woody

Post by Woody »

No need to plumpen up my Frauline Woodette, I just keep her inside during the winter months where it's nice and warm...hint hint
:wink:
JRN

Kona

Post by JRN »

Yea, that Kona looked like a sweet ride. That stepped tail looked like it could handle the "big-stuff." No reference to Woodette expressed or implied! :? JN
steveb

Post by steveb »

So that's why the windsurfers always look so content in winter, the kiters , like idiots are out on the lakes freezing their "little stuff" off. :(
dhopkins

Post by dhopkins »

Check out the Exocet website and there is good discusion on these boards. If you want higher performance go for the x380. I like my Kona, but it is a tweener. slower than formula on plane but faster than longboards. In schlogg it is faster than formula but slower than old longboards. I think the Mahalo is also a tandem board.
Dave
HI4
steveb

Post by steveb »

Dave, how nicely does it sail for just having fun, it's supposed to be able to handle a short board style gybe, is that true or do you have to sink the tail and pivot gybe it. Also does it feel comfortable on a powered reach or is it bouncy. Thanks for your help.
Woodette

Post by Woodette »

I seriously need to pick up winter kiting. Seems to be the sport to enjoy around here for a very loooong season.
Steve, I've had my hands in the the cookie jar way too much already :wink:

Woodette
Woody

Post by Woody »

[heavy Austin Powers accent]

Oh Behave Baby!!

:lol:
katane

Post by katane »

Great fun railing the Kona Pic:

http://www.exocet-original.com/kona-win ... mahalo.jpg

--kat
steveb wrote:I was thinking about getting one board so I could get out for a sail and maybe do the odd race, when I thought about it I realised my most pleasant days over the years were railing a longboard, or track back with all that nose in front blasting along. I guess I'm reverting to roots.
But the other boards I just don't use now so I'd like to create space.
Plug, all those prices I asked are negotiable so if someones interested in one of the boards don't hesitate to make offers.

Woody...looking at that weather you need to fatten up Woodette, she's too skinny to give off enough heat for that weather, maybe you should move south?.
katane

Post by katane »

steveb wrote:Dave, how nicely does it sail for just having fun, it's supposed to be able to handle a short board style gybe, is that true or do you have to sink the tail and pivot gybe it. Also does it feel comfortable on a powered reach or is it bouncy. Thanks for your help.
Short Board Jibe:

http://www.exocet-original.com/kona-win ... 31kona.jpg
steveb

Post by steveb »

Kat...thanks for the pictures very helpful.

Woodette....I'm a cookie fiend, just ask Nancy. Sold my soul for a home made oatmeal raisin. Any home with a cookie jar is my kind of place. :wink:
dhopkins

Post by dhopkins »

It gybes like a smaller board only when it is fully planning, it does gybe well then though. Sub plannning it works just like a long board with opposite foot steering. It is pretty narrow, so it does plane pretty fast. The dagger board works smooth. The only thing I do not like is the footstraps that came with it are not that good. I mostly sail my formula, but wanted an option for light wind. I was suprised how well it does in very heavy winds. I was super smooth over chop in the crossing, and top end was fast when it was super windy, it fell off a plane a little faster than my formula. But I am 235 lbs, its harder for bigger guys even though we can sail bigger sails. It also sails bigger sail than it says on the specs, it worked great with my 11.7 The other cool thing I noticed in the crossing was it gained a lot of spped on waves, that was cool. I have the Kona style, the red Mahalo looks cool too, If I get a different one I will get the x 380.
Dave HI4
steveb

Post by steveb »

Dave, thanks, I'm 225lbs so we're in a similar weight bracket, it sounds as though the board is more or less what I expected. I appreciate your feedback.
JRN

Thanks STEVE!

Post by JRN »

Now you've got me thinking about cruising on a LONGBOARD after I'd sworn off buying new windsurf gear! :o Jim N. P.S: Adjustable mast track?
steveb

Post by steveb »

Jim, the warp X the super fast version has adjustable mast track, the Kona and Maholo does not.To me they seem like a nice goof around, do the odd race, have fun kind of board.