Hawaii - Where to go exactly?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Chad_B

Hawaii - Where to go exactly?

Post by Chad_B »

I am planning on a trip to Hawaii the last part of February. I have read the two destination descriptions by Sid and Randy (Ohalu and Maui respectively) and I am surprised that Maui is actually "country". Is this really true?

I am looking for best place to stay (geographically what island/bay/town?) that offers jungle hiking, waterfall tours or maps, snorkeling and of course windsufing for both beginner and advance sailing.

I should mention that my wife and I are looking for peace and serenity.

Given those generic requirements does anyone have any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
dhopkins

Post by dhopkins »

What kind of budget are you on? Maui has the best of what you are looking for. Plus many options for types of places to stay, less crowded than Oahu for the most part. You will have to drive to all of those activities but nothing is really far. I would say check out Kehei/Waimea side. Short 9 mile drive to the best windsurfing in the world, great scuba right there. If you want real peace and serenity go to the big island for a couple days.
Dave
HI4
Protege Menace

Post by Protege Menace »

my friend went to waikiki (honolulu) and said the entire week he was there the weather was PERFECT with nice breezes but he never saw ONE kite on any of the voyages around the island they went.

not sure if they banned kiting around anywhere public, but just FYI ;)
Chad_B

Post by Chad_B »

What would an average cost be to stay in Maui for 7 or 8 days (lodging and food)? I really have no idea. I have been to Aruba twice and that place is really cheap for a warm windsurfing vacation. We have spent an average of about 2K per person on everything for 8 days in Aruba. That included travel, lodging, food (eating out) and windsurfing. Does Maui completely blow these numbers out of the water??

The one thing I do not want is be stuck with windsurfing large waves (yeah you probably think I am crazy), I would prefer the chop or "country driving" experience of rolling waves rather than the half pipe wave sailing.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

What you could do.. is go to kauai rent a car and stay at anini beach on the north side.... in a tent for something like $5 dollars a night... your right on the beach. When we went to kauai we spend like 4 days there.

The wind is probably not as good as some of the legenary places. But I rented a windsurfing board and played around all day... It would be a great spot to kite.

As for other stuff... we drove up and hiked around the waimea canyon. I think they do mountain biking down it. There is some other good hiking on the north side.

bryce
DavidKnight

camping is free or very cheap

Post by DavidKnight »

I lived on the islands for 3 yrs '96-'99. It's not advertised because the tourism/hotel board of Hawaii doesn't make any money off of it- but there's lots of free/cheap camping to be had on all of the islands. I took mini-vacations and island-hopped with a tent- doing lots of hiking and camping. For hiking, solitude, and sheer beauty- Kauai can't be beat. The Napali Coast along the north shore is amazing but the surf/rips get a little gnarly in the winter. Because of tourism, Maui has probably the least number of campsites but there's still some amazing places to pitch a tent. The Big Island is littered with campsites- which makes it easy to explore (you don't have to always backtrack to your hotel) just stay at a nearby campsite along your way around the island. A quick search on the web...

http://www.state.hi.us/dlnr/dsp/index.html
http://www.ehawaiigov.org/Hawaii_County ... e/camp.cgi
http://www.kauai.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=176
http://www.visitmaui.com/camping.html

If you want a sailing vacation- go to Maui. If it's more for the relaxation/beauty/exploring- go to Kauai. Big Island has everything. Oahu is nice but you have to get out of the concrete jungle of Waikiki- Diamond Head and Kailua are the spots to sail and it won't be nearly as relaxing as Kauai. Whatever you do, I'd recommend camping if you're up for it. Drop me an email if you need more info. deknight25 at yahoo
Phillipl

Post by Phillipl »

8) I read your requirements carefully. Quiet Relaxed etc. I lived in Kailua (on Oahu) back in the 80's and it is kind of like that. Kailua Bay is easy flat water sailing and not so strong of wind as Maui. Waves never break out on the reef north of Flat Island but occasionally break south of there with a good storm and Kona winds. Either way it is beginner waves and you wouldn't break any equipment. Real waves are at Diamond head, backyards north of Sunset beach, and at Mokulia beach near the gliderport also on north shore. Local knowlege and a car required to haul your sailing equipment.

Pat's Cabins used to be a great place to stay at the south end of the bay, right off the beach park. It might be found in the phone book if they are still there. I remember lots of midwest folks (sailors) staying there for a week and going nowhere for that week. You might not need a car on Oahu as there is adaquate public bus service to take you to North Short or elsewhere. You could walk from Pat's to grocery store or restaurant. You can rent good Windsurf equipment at Nash in Kailua. Robbie's mother used to run the place and I stopped in on a bidness trip back in 99 (to rent a wave board for the day) and she was still at the counter. Real nice folks. They daily take whatever equipment you want to the beach park and you can return it to their trailer at the end of the day.
I sent a good friend there two years ago and he found a hobie cat to rent on the beach. I'm sure you can rent sea kayaks to take to Moke island and about if it is a calm day.
Like any vacation, watch the weather and plan days accordingly. Feb is not known for lots of wind but better than Dec and Jan. You would never need to trouble yourself with Honolulu or Waikiki.

I'm sure you could figure out a low key trip for Maui also but you would need a car on that island.