Skate Sharpener?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Eric S

Skate Sharpener?

Post by Eric S »

I'm ready to get me skates out. Does anyone recommend a good place to sharpen them? I used to play hockey as a kid and we had 'a guy' that was the best at sharpening in the area. I know what it feels like to skate on a good sharpening.

Last Fall about this time of year I made the mistake of letting a local establishemt, wich shall remain nameless, sharpen them. Just because someone has a machine doesn't mean they know how to use it.

Are there any hockey players on this board?? Thanks for the info.
Julia

Post by Julia »

I am a hockey player and am, in fact, playing in a tournament this weekend at Augsburg. I have had the best sharpening done by arena personel. Hat trick in Richfield does a great job. It's on 66th St. between Portland and Bloomington Avenues. Also, Westwood sports in Bloomington or Burnsville would be safe. They specialize in Hockey and figure skating. I would just stay away from Play it again or other sporting goods shops that don't cater to hockey. Good luck.
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Hey Julia!

Thanks for the info. Good luck in your tourny at Augsburg this weekend. Took my CCM 652 Super Tacks out of the bag today and skated on a local pond up here in Zimmerman. I'm kind of glad I didn't sharpen them yet cause there was alot of debris on the ice.

I got my 3.3M Foil out and did a little kiteskating. Too bad the wind on this lake has to come over some majorly tall oak trees.

My brother gave me another hint on where to sharpen if you are in the western suberbs. Hwy 55 and Hwy 101 west of Plymouth. There is a small sports store on the north side of the road on 55. These guys know hockey!

I think I'll try them out since driving near downtown will cost me an extry 5-10 dollars.

Hey Julia, want to learn to kiteskate? We need more women in this super fun sport. I've got kites if you've got skates...

-eric
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Eric,

If you need your skates sharpened and happen to be in the eastern twin cities suburbs, I would definitely recommend Strauss at 36 and White Bear Ave.

Regarding kiteskating, I've got the skates but my kite quiver has only a 1m trainer and a 7.5m inflatable. I would guess a 3m foil would be a good choice.

I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I assume kiteskating can only be done for at most 2 weeks during the year since snow is usually covering the ice!?!

Just curious, whether on skates or snowboard or skis, is the sport shut down at 5pm or do you guys set up some kind of lighting system???

Chris K
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

A 3M kite is good for ice. You can also go bigger. I 1M trainer would work in about 20mph I think. We don't have any lights so we quit before dark. Some folks have been know to kiteski under the full moon. The white snow makes things perty lit up.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

If it is smooth ice, the 1m will probably work for you in a decent breeze, 14-16mph. In the lighter winds you may have to sine wave the thing pretty agressively, though it could work. The little kites are so fast that they generate their own apparent wind. Try heading off the wind a bit at first to get some wind speed past the kite ( generating pull) then crank up wind.

A 3m foil is very close to the 7m inflatable in terms of power. I'd consider going bigger if you're in the position to buy another kite.

The power that is needed for ice is a fraction of what is needed in the same wind when we have snow. Hardpack is bit less, and deep powder even more. And we usually only have black ice for a short time. Last year with 3 weeks of great ice was an exception. So you may not want to build your quiver around it. I used my 16m the most last winter.

I'd say try and ride what you have first. You probably could make it work.

One thing I have found fun, in light winds or when underpowered is to slowly work my way up to the upwind side of the lake ( not too close to the shore else the turbulence will effect ya). Then sine wave the kite back and forth right in the power zone, while doing large "s" turns directly downwind. You can also loop the kite a few times one way and then a few times the other way, right around the power zone. Since you are going downwind you have to generate as much power as you can. It's a blast.

hope this helps

enjoy

tighe
Tighe
stevenP

What about the bigger blade sharpening?

Post by stevenP »

I need to get the blades of my ice surfer (Freeskate) sharpened. Anybody have any suggestions (I live in St. Louis Park)?
sPk
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Thanks for the helpful responses, Eric S and Tighe!!! I think I'll give one of the local lakes (northern subs) a try this weekend.

Chris K
Eric S

Re: What about the bigger blade sharpening?

Post by Eric S »

stevenP wrote:I need to get the blades of my ice surfer (Freeskate) sharpened. Anybody have any suggestions (I live in St. Louis Park)?
Talk to Jerry S, he sharpens his every session.