Threat to Calhoun Sailing

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Tighe

Threat to Calhoun Sailing

Post by Tighe »

Marissa (Chicky) Lasky sent this letter to a city official in an attempt to start a dialog with the city to preserve access to Calhoun sailing and get our voice heard. I think she should be commended on this effort and supported by all of us in this action. I would encourage each of you to email her ( email at the end) and offer assistence. In numbers we may have some impact.

Date: August 2, 2004 1:35:10 PM CDT
To: Judd Rietkerk <jrietkerk@minneapolis.org>
Subject: Lake Calhoun south side

Dear Mr Rietkerk (and other concerned individuals),
I was hoping to connect with you before I left on vacation this week. If we are not able to chat, I hope that you can put me on your calendar for the week of the 9th. I am very accessible at 612-377-1167 or you can try me at 612-816-2122 (but I check messaging on my cell less frequently). I have spoken to Tim Brown and Jennifer Ringold (community planner), regarding the proposed ideas for the south side of Lake Calhoun, and how those ideas will very adversely affect windsurfing on Lake Calhoun. We consider Calhoun our last city lake left to reasonable windsurfing.

Since the windsurfers locally are well into the hundreds, and much larger out of the immediate area, we are heavy users of Lake Calhoun, both between "ice-out" to "ice-on". Many of us ice surf and ice/snow kite in winter on the lake as well. On any given day, you will see maybe 2 sailboats, but there will be 20 to 30 windsurfers on the lake. When it is blowing 30 mph, and there are no boats, there will be 40 to 50 windsurfers. When it is 50 degree air temp, and 35 degree water temp, we are out there again, and there will be no sailboats. We can sail in lighter wind than a sailboat, stronger wind than a sailboat, and do not need to wait for buoys to be installed. We potentially can sail 365 days a year if conditions were agreeable. What we do NOT have is: an office, a phone listing, a registered organization, a boat house, or allowed to have rental equipement (once upon a time the Park Board did contract windsurfing lessons), nor do we have a voice in what happens to the City lakes. We have lost the following due to no voice or consideration for our concerns:

1. Lake Harriet is virtually gone as a windsurfing lake, The best launch site was taken for a sewer project etc. Nice sailboat lake, though.
2. A few years ago, the Park Board planted 35 pine trees on the north side of Lake Calhoun, with no regard for the fact that we cannot negotiate between the trees carrying a 15 foot mast, sail, and board. After a year of that, I did meet with someone from the Park Board, and they relocated approximately 30 trees. I was told that they put them there originally, as they had " left over trees". We were thrilled to be finally heard!
3. Last year the Canoe rack went in. We called when we noticed the beginning of construction, and warning of the problem, but no one returned a call. The rack eliminated half of the rigging site. As you can probably guess, we now rig on the narrow strips along the shore, or wherever we can find them, and on a busy day, it it tough. Remember also, that when we come in, we need to put down the equipment, and place it out of danger. Now we have a dangerous sight line problem with the canoe "hotel", as we can not see as well carrying sails, and bikers and joggers and skaters cannot see us, or children. We probably spend more time on Calhoun shores than any other group or individual, and we have seen many near misses, as the sight line issue is a danger for everyone. Still, we have been passive on the changes. Having a good rigging site, is safety for other individuals. To my knowlege, we have had no accidents.
4. When the "rip-rap" rock and willows were installed, we were not contacted again, and that installation nearly closed off many access points. Also the boulders were so large, that we could no longer hop off a windsurfer at any given point on the lake, and go to shore. We had many cuts and injuries due to getting a foot or leg jammed between rocks. The willows (or" punji sticks" as we called them) have punctured sails, and ripped at our legs. Still, we passively lived with it. When I called, the information I received was that the rocks delivered were not the size ordered, and "oops" we will just have to wait for them to silt-in. Most of us have also broken or ruined $100.00+ sailboard- fins on these obstacles, until we learned not to get off close to shore. No, it has not silted in, but we are getting better at avoiding. This has made Lake Calhoun a great lake for intermediate to expert sailers, but difficult to dangerous for a beginner, particularly without warning. By the way, we asked for signage on some areas (read from shore and lake), for shoreline that looked particularly safe, but was not. That has always been ignored.
5. When Thomas Beach had "problems", and the parking rules were changed there, we basically vacated Thomas, and have taken up the south beach. Rarely is Thomas a good point-of-sail for us, and the swim beach in not in our best interests either. South Beach has very few of the nice facilities of Thomas, but is had been "ours" to sail.
6. When the Park Board changed the parking at South Beach from straight-in to parallel parking, also adding more handicap parking, and a mulch drop off point and place for free mulch, that was a huge change. This time I and a couple other representatives met with a Park Board representative, and was told that they could not cut a few trees to widen the lot to accomodate straight-in parking again (which has worked well for the 20 years AS IS) .We were also told that they would consider a one way exit on to the parkway to the west (which never happened), and would be sensitive to our needs in the future. So far, the only one sensitive to our needs, have been the Park Police, who have given up giving tickets to us for parking at a slight angle, as they realize the danger of pulling out and carrying a 15 to 20 foot mast, while PARRALLEL parked, is not worth enforcing.

I now understand that the rumuors that the Park Board will again be meeting the needs of the sailboaters, and the moms who need to drop their kids for sailing class, is true. Please try to remember, that we are much, much, much, more frequent uses of the lake than any sailor, and that sailing class is only a very small use of the lake in terms of time or numbers. Besides, most of us have come from being prior sailors and racers, and have chosen the less impacting windsurfing. We need so much less to survive, but we are being literally choked out this time.

We would so appreciate being being heard for a change, and everyone who has gotten wind of the proposed change, is FINALLY getting organized for some reaction. I would also like to mention, that once upon a time, there were many windsurfing shops in the lake area: Bavarian Surf (10 years), Cal Surf (had winsurfing), Now Sports, Bavarian Minnetonka, Scuba Center Windsurfing, Sailboard Warehouse, and more. All are out of business except Scuba Center near Lake Harriet, and The House (formally Sailboard Warehouse) in Little Canada. Scuba Center is very dependent on Lake Calhoun for promoting its sport and goods, and customers being able to try out their new equipment and enjoying the sport. When asked by Tim Brown (Park Board employee) what other lakes we use, I had to pause. Cedar is impossible due to windshadow and milfoil, Isles is irregular with milfoil, and Harriet is virutually gone. Nokomis is not bad, but not nearly as good as Calhoun. Besides, this is cost effective for the Park Board also, as it can concentrate its milfoil mowing more effectively on mainly one lake. Remember, a sailboat is in no way as sensitive to milfoil, as a 15-20 pound Sailboard! We are very very dependent on clear water. Having crewed for sailboat races, I know they do not have some of our concerns. Many of us switched to Lake Waconia (50minutes away), but milfoil is now bad there, and it is too big to "mow". Also, the DNR accomodates motor boats and trailers. Calhoun is not that type of lake, which we appreciate.

We have lived symbiotically with the Sailboat community for many years, but we have always been the ignored and unloved child of the Park Board. We don't want to see Windsurfing go away from Lake Calhoun, We do not want our last local Windsurf shop to fail due to additional lake changes. Visitors always come to watch the windsurfers, as they are colorful and exciting. We are on city brochures, tops of building sculptures, and represent lake fun in the Twin Cities. The local newspaper and TV always comes out to take pictures of the first windsurfers of the season, and the last. I have just had my picture taken (windsurfing) for a Minnesota tourism brochure. We don't spread milfoil, we don't have loud parties, we don't drink on the beach, we don't litter (in fact we pick up lost and found stuff), we don't play loud music or rev engines, and we don't occupy the beaches after dark. Windsurfing is not a growing sport (neither is sailing), but we have kept our numbers by trying to be excited about our sport, even though there is no longer a Park Board program to teach it, and what is seemingly a effort to eliminate us again.

We have all kinds of wonderful ideas for the City Lakes, as most of us also sail, kayak, bike, jog, canoe, ice sail, ice boat, fish etc. We need to be heard as an Association which is a highly visible (but formerly silent) group. Please use my office phone number and email address as a starting point to contact the windsurfing community. As having been a 10 year member of the Minneapolis Zoning Board of Adjustment, and also involved in other neighborhood concerns, so I have now found myself "volunteered" to help convince the Park Board to look at alternatives to increasing the impact on South Beach. New use by the sailboats; buoys, docks, classes, drop off area and facilities etc, will have a negative effect and possibly demise of windsurfing on the city lakes, and the related businesses in out community. We are for once, feeling that this is just too much. (How about thinking about South Beach as the Windsurfing Beach with building and facility? No? OK, but we'll settle for no Sailboat development either).

I would like to propose a friendly meeting very early in your thought process on this new proposal. Many of us feel we are already closing the barn door too late. I would like for once, to have a meeting with Park Board representation in an area home or business, so that we do not have to deal with the weather, as we have had to do so in the past when meeting on- site. Many windsurfers have suggested a petition, but having been on many boards, I always felt that impassioned individuals made the most inroads. Hopefully you feel the same and are open to direct dialogue.

My apologies for the wordiness, but I was encouraged to write "everything" rather than call. I still believe in the power of personal contact, but I will comply.

I look forward to hearing from as many of you as possible by email now, or phone after August 8th.

Marissa Lasky
612-377-1167
laskyco@mn.rr.com
Tighe
dhopkins

Please Help on this one

Post by dhopkins »

It would be great if we could send e-mails to the park board in mass quantities
We need to address this problem as a community, LAKAWA could be an awesome vehicle to do this.
Dave
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

What email should we send it to?
Tighe
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Here's a start from Chicky:

Assisttant Superintendent of Planning. jrietkerk@minneapolisparks.org Others to write to are:

Jennifer Ringold (Community Planner) at jringold@minneapolisparks.org

Jon Gurban (Superintendent of Parks) at: jgurban@minneapolisparks.org

I do not as yet have emails for the Park Board Commissions, and would appreciate if someone besides me would get that info with a call.

Bob Fine (Park Board Commissioner) at: yorkfines@juno.com

Council members affected: 1. Lisa Goodman
2.(Call Council office for name and emails)
3.(Call Council office for name and emails)

Hope this is a start for addresses to start forwarding your emails. Don't just pick a name, forward your thoughts and concerns to ALL.

chick
Tighe
Coach

Post by Coach »

If you really want to have an effect, send in a real letter. Email is notoriously ineffective in a political/civic forum. It ends up getting treated like spam. However, snail mail now carries more weight than it used to.

How about a physical address? :D

-Coach
stevenP

Mpls Park Board contact info

Post by stevenP »

First of all, thanks Chicki for getting involved. In my experience, it does make a difference to take a few minutes to make sure your opinion is heard.

I did a bit of investigation on the Park Board Website and came up with this.

Commissioners
Are all at the same address:
Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board
2117 West River Road
Minneapolis, MN 55411

Bob Fine, district 6 (includes city lakes)
(612) 230-6443 ext. 6

John Erwin, Commissioner At Large,
Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board
2117 West River Road
Minneapolis, MN 55411
612-230-6443 ext. 8
erwin001@umn.edu

Rochelle Berry Graves, Cmmissioner At Large
612-230-6443 ext. 7

M. Annie Young, Commissioner At Large
612-729-3359
anniey@visi.com

Get involved and make a difference.
sPk
paul g

City Council Contacts

Post by paul g »

Both the existing boat launch (refectory) and "South Beach" are in City Council Ward 10. Dan Niziolek is the council member. The boundary between Wards 10 and 13 is the parkway that connects Lakes Calhoun and Harriet. Ward 13 includes Thomas Beach, as well as the Linden Hills and West Calhoun neighborhoods, all of which would likely be impacted by any change which resulted in boaters who now park their trailers and vehicles near the northeast corner of Calhoun wanting to park them near a south shore boat launch/mooring area. Barret Lane is the council member for Ward 13.

The mailing address for all city council members is:

350 South 5th St.
City Hall, Room 307
Minneapolis, MN 55415

The fax for all council members is 612-673-3940

The Ward 10 phone is 612-673-2210; for Ward 13 it is 673-2213

Council Member Niziolek receives e-mail at Dan.Niziolek@ci.minneapolis.mn.us

Council Member Lane receives e-mail via the contact form on the City of Minneapolis website http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Here's a discription from Chicky on what's going on:

But basically they are in the conversation and planning stage to put in boardwalks, and other facilities (presume move buoys or add), to make this the Sailboat site and Sailing School for the park. Nice drop off area for the kiddies and other things have been bandied about: pavililion, boat house, parking for sailors (maybe trailers?), dock/boardwalk, bouys, etc. Nothing is built, but this is obviously in response to the desires of the Sailboating contingency. Hello guys, it is now time to be a number. We are bigger in numbers, time on the lake, and days on the lake per year, but no one wants to even write an email when they do anything to the lakeshore. Even a barrage of inquiries and show of concern to Save Our Site, would be heard. This is the first time they have heard from us! I will try to attach an email with more email addresses of Park Board staff, but you need to write EVERYONE and include the Council Person(s). You can always forward on my letter to Judd R to anyone.

thanks
chick
Tighe
Dave Schneider

Post by Dave Schneider »

Jon Olson is the Mpls Park Board President. He lives across the street from me. I'll print out the original email and give it to him.
Dave Schneider
stevenP

response from Jon Gurban

Post by stevenP »

I got the following response to one of the emails I sent out on the Calhoun SB issue.

"Hello Mr.. Kenny! Thank you for your e-mail! I can't tell you how appreciative I am of receiving a thoughtful communication. Most of the time it seems people are mad and venting. Often without knowledge of the facts. Your comments will be taken seriously. It is not our intention to jeopardize anyone's use of the Lake. We are simply exploring opportunities and possibilities. NOTHING has been determined at this point. We have yet to get to the "public process" of this issue. We're still in the information gathering stage. Best regards, Jon Gurban, Interim Superintendent"
sPk
aransavage

organized...

Post by aransavage »

I think we really need to establish some leadership to help organize us, direct emails and letters, attend meetings, define our message. We won't be effective if we can't create a more formalized organization that can represent our views. Maybe Lakawa can be our voting mechanism to create a more defined political structure to our cause. There's enough people and talent already here, it just needs something to rally behind.

Andrew
TJ

Post by TJ »

I am not minnesotan, but i am using your natural resources so i think andrew is right!!!
I totally agree with you andrew!!

Organization and planning

Tatiana
Enjoying life and Windancing.
Hank

Post by Hank »

And to think mountain bike trail access is better than ever. :lol: