Brainerd Lakes Area Kiteboard spots

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Eric S

Brainerd Lakes Area Kiteboard spots

Post by Eric S »

Hey guys,

Where are they? Which lauches should we not go too?

I was thinking it might be fun to try something tomorrow up there on the predicted NE wind (light)

Todd, Jason?

Thanks,
Dave Schneider

Post by Dave Schneider »

Hey Eric,

I have sailed, but not kited, on Gull. A really nice spot is right along highway 371, a few miles south of Nisswa. There is a place where 371 is very close to the lake, and very close to North Long Lake on the east side of the road. Any way, bring up Nisswa on mapquest, and you will see where 371 heading south between the lakes takes bend to the east and then quickly back to the west. Right there, you can park off the side of the road, there is a gravel frontage road with no houses or obstructions. I think this would be a good launch for NE. It would be a bit side-off. It is excellent for N or NW or W.

Other places to launch that a local gave me last year, but which I have not checked out are:

'Hole in the Day' access is the public boat access just south of
the gravel frontage road you sailed at. There is a grassy rigging
spot on the SW corner of the parking area. They have plenty of parking
and restrooms too. The 'Yacht Club' is my favorite spot on Gull.
There is never anyone around and you can park and rig right next
to the beach. Go west 1 mile on CR126 (Green Gables Road) then right
on Love lake Rd. 1 mile. It's at the end of the road just past Gull/Love
Campground.

Hope you have good winds.

millerls@scicable.net
Dave Schneider
Dave Schneider

Post by Dave Schneider »

Hey Eric,

I have sailed, but not kited, on Gull. A really nice spot is right along highway 371, a few miles south of Nisswa. There is a place where 371 is very close to the lake, and very close to North Long Lake on the east side of the road. Any way, bring up Nisswa on mapquest, and you will see where 371 heading south between the lakes takes bend to the east and then quickly back to the west. Right there, you can park off the side of the road, there is a gravel frontage road with no houses or obstructions. I think this would be a good launch for NE. It would be a bit side-off. It is excellent for N or NW or W.

Other places to launch that a local gave me last year, but which I have not checked out are:

'Hole in the Day' access is the public boat access just south of
the gravel frontage road you sailed at. There is a grassy rigging
spot on the SW corner of the parking area. They have plenty of parking
and restrooms too. The 'Yacht Club' is my favorite spot on Gull.
There is never anyone around and you can park and rig right next
to the beach. Go west 1 mile on CR126 (Green Gables Road) then right
on Love lake Rd. 1 mile. It's at the end of the road just past Gull/Love
Campground.

Hope you have good winds.

millerls@scicable.net
Dave Schneider
Kirk D.

Post by Kirk D. »

I had a bad experience with some jet skiers while windsurfing on Gull many years ago, but that can happen anywhere.

Another place that might be fun to go kiting would be the swimming beach or public boat access on the south side of Pelican Lake. I grew up in Brainerd, but haven't lived there in 20 years so hopefully some current locals can correct anything my aging memory gets wrong...

Pelican has beautiful clear water, sandy bottom with shallow water on the south shore (kinda like Washington, able to walk out a long ways, but it then drops off.). Might be a little bit of a walk from the parking lot to the beach, but not as far as some of the places out at the Gorge. Need to stay clear of the swim area, but it used to be clearly marked.

There are quite a few ways to get to the beach on the south side of Pelican, one of the easier ways is to head out of Brainerd north on Hiway 25 towards Cross Lake. Just north of Merrifield take a right onto Hiway 3. A bit north of a three store town called Ossippe(?sp), but before you get to Cross Lake, there should be a sign for Pelican Beach Road on the left (west) side of the road. You can also get to the beach and public access from county road 118, just watch for signs.

If I remember correctly, swimmers itch used to be a problem in North Long by 371 but that could have just been a bad year (but a bad case of it will definitely be a bummer).

Let me know if/when you are heading up there and maybe I can join you if my folks can watch my kids. They went and watched you and Jerry ice sailing on North Long and thought it looked fun, but that "you guys were nuts".

Kirk
Kevinousdigian

Post by Kevinousdigian »

I go up to Whitefish lake with the in-laws every year and have a good launch on SW - W- N - NE winds but continue to look for good E- SE-S (and maybe SW) launches. I've looked around and haven't found anything. Does anyone know of good launches for a south wind up in that neck of the woods. Pelican would be sweet but I can't find any launches on the north or east side and there is a tiny place to launch from breezy point but you need to get past the little island.
Where is the best place to sail on gull in S or SE or E?

Thanks
Kevin
Kevin Ousdigian