Tabou tips....(about the board)...and other details......

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Quetzalcoatl

Tabou tips....(about the board)...and other details......

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

First of all, I just want to reiterate that if someone tells you, "I'm selling a 2009 Tabou windsurf board",,,ask 'em to check the serial number.

This is because it's NOT uncommon to get the year wrong. Most windsurfing boards do NOT label the "production year" on the board. Tabou DOES!

In the serial Number, First appears letters TB followed by a bunch of numbers. The very first two numbers after "TB" represents the Production year.

Isn't that Cool? Answer: yes, that's Fabulous! So: for example: TB160325097, means this board was made in 2016. A Tabou board with serial number

TB0535168 means production year of 2005. Most of the time people are just guessing the production year by spending time looking at photographs

of different years with the different boards to "guesstimate" the production year.

Where is the Serial number on a Tabou Board? Sometimes it's on the tail behind or above the fin screw hole, other times it's located forward
of the mast tract or in front of the vent screw.
Well anyway,,,,,Friday, Aug. 5th was my most recent windsurfing day, and I did use the biggest possible sail allowed on a Tabou 125 liter board
which is an 8.5 sail. It kept me planning in 15 to 18 mph wind all afternoon. I think an 8 meter might be better for considering largest sail for this board. The 8.5 Ezzy Cheetah was a bit heavy for the 125 liter, and it may have caused a litter slowness in board because Ryan, who also was sailing
a Tabou 125 liter was faster than I and I think he was on a 7.0 meter.
But on the other hand during gybes, I never fell off the board (well maybe once or twice) (the big sail acted as a "Counter-weight" after flipping the sail during the gybe) and Ryan after flipping the sail almost always fell of his board as the board rounded up.
Back on shore I congratulated Ryan for being faster than I, but I also recommended to him (when doing Gybes) that as soon as he "Flips the Sail" that he should push the mast forward towards the nose in order to avoid "Rounding Up" which is why he falls in. By getting the board more downwind after flipping the sail, you'll regain speed. (Speed is SO important for gybes).

That's enough for now.

Quetzalcoatl out.