How high do you have to be...in order to perform a forward loop?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Quetzalcoatl

How high do you have to be...in order to perform a forward loop?

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

One particular skill that SOME windsurfers aim for,,,is to be able to perform a forward loop...(and sometime maybe a backward loop).

But I was just wondering,,,,how high must a sailor be in order to pull off this skill? I mean, if your mast is 16 ft. high...then does this mean

you gotta be at least 16 feet above the water? At some point in "the loop" you are going to be vertically upside down ( maybe for just a second)

but that means (I think) if you're not higher then 16 ft (length of the mast) then the head of the mast will drag through the water and maybe this could

mess you up!??! Or does it not matter if the head of the mast touches the water? I am aware that a "Barrel Roll" doesn't involve this problem, but then with a barrel roll the mast does not go vertically down towards the water. But a "Loop" certainly does!

Just some deep thoughts. Anybody have an answer to this stimulating question? Pete G. or Bill S. or Chris S. or Chris B. or Eric S.??? Or Randy J.?

Quetzalcoatl out.
Pete

Re: How high do you have to be...in order to perform a forward loop?

Post by Pete »

It is not an "end over end" move. Many tutorials on Youtube. example...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0G_wA38HkI
Quetzalcoatl

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Glad you chimed in! I'll check it out (the U-tube you added) when I'm at home.

Eric.
Bill S.

Post by Bill S. »

Thanks, Pete, this is a fantastic demo vid–-wish I'd had it years ago when I was going for forwards on a regular basis. Never stuck a landing and sailed off but did rotate and smack my back a few times. Not sure I'd go for it these days, ha!