Quetzalcoatl getting ready to say something.......

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl getting ready to say something.......

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Hi! Oh.....

Remember you can still windsurf in the Winter on wide rivers....Of course dry suit, hood, booties (7cm thick) and lifevests are a must.

It's best to use a weed fin,,,in case you hit some ice bergs. The impact is more gradual than just "dead on" with a straight fin.

But yes,,,you DO have to wait till the temp goes up above freezing,,like 35 odr 38 degrees...40ish is better! And to have some "Good' wind helps too.

Often St. Croix River, Misissippi River are prime locations for Winter Windsurfing.

I once Windsurfed on New Years' eve..around 4:30 pm..(Yes in the dark with a flash light duck tapped to my helmut). This was on Upper lake Pepin of Wacouta Beach. All open water due to the Nuclear Power plant dumping it's hot water into the river after cooling those hot steaming reactors. Yeah, my eyes were kind of fosphorescent green for a while after that.

Also,,,just As Lake Pepin (down stream) turns into a river again (still A quarter of mile wide) there's open water downstream from Camp La-coup-olos

if air temp goes above freezing. I've sailed (hyroplanned) here in the month Feb. and one time on Dec. 26th.

I know many die hard sailors sail on lower st. Croix, near Hudson, Wi. or opposite Minnnesota side of that.

So,,,,Windsurfing is for all year and forever!

Quetzalcoatl out.