Fri, Dec. 18th again I hydroplaned across Lake Pepin on Open Water!

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Quetzalcoatl

Fri, Dec. 18th again I hydroplaned across Lake Pepin on Open Water!

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

But,,,now lake Pepin is closed, frozen.

Yeah, Friday afternoon Dec. 18th,I got to Roadside Park (two miles upstream from lake City). Wind was 15 (gusting to 22 mph).

I only had my "Trusty" 10.8 Loft sail and formula board with me. It was 2:00 pm and I wasn't going to sail in gusts of 22mph with a nearly

11 meter sail! (Just another reminder to always be wind gear prepared for any eventuality). So,,I was waiting for wind to die down (Imagine that!).

By three, YES,,,only blowing a steady 12-14 and that was good! I rigged my sail and went for it. It was a balmy 40 degrees air temp.

As I was departing, an older couple in a sports car stopped and ask: (Are you sure you really want to do this?) I said, It's "December" with open water and so I MUST do this!

The driver said, Merry X-mas and drove away.

I saw some object bobbing on the gravel reef. It looked like a Greek vase or flower pot. I'll check it out after my session.

Wind even lighted up probabaly to 7-8 as I head out (leaving Minn. side and on my way to Wisc. side) Then, about half way across, "BAM", yes! I'm in

the line of wind! Feet goes in straps, I'm hooked in and I'm planning at about 15 mph! Not super fast but faster than the wind! I stayed close to Wisconsin side for about one hour because that's where the best wind seemed to be. As it started to get a little dark,,I Gybed and headed back

to Minneesota side. As I approached my exit spot I saw that "Greek vase" (or flower pot) and I did inspect it. It looked new and not any damage.

It was the size of a flower pot (but really a vase) of Black laquer and golden figures embeded. I just couldn't figure WHY someone would this dump in
the lake. Then, I thought "maybe it's an ash urn." It was empty, no cover on it. It was in shallow water, thus the water that entered the vase kept it
anchored there. I picked it up and thought I'd put right back where it was out of respect. And let other people see the beauty of the vase (ash urn)
just partially submerged.
Maybe some one sprinkled the ashes of a loved one into water and then just decided to toss the urn in the water too.

Anyway, that's my story and I did try to windsurf again on Sunday, Dec. 20th but The lake was FROZEN!

Eric F. (Quetzalcoatl out). PS: On Friday no ice on sail nor on boom and no ice on me!
Pete

Re: Fri, Dec. 18th again I hydroplaned across Lake Pepin on Open Water!

Post by Pete »

Respect!