Quetzalcoatl Does Des Moines, "Endless Summer" in December!

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl Does Des Moines, "Endless Summer" in December!

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Yeah! I did it! Saturday, Dec. 7th...I left Rochester (34 degrees) and went over the Iowa boarder for that 47 degrees air temp and 14 mph wind.

As I drove South,,,about 30 miles South of Clear Lake, all snow disappeared! I got to Lake Saylorville and all open WATER and Whitecaps (must be due to gusts!)

Anyway,,,Steady Wind (14-16) I rigged the Jumbo Sail (10.8) and the Formula AHD (Made in Swisterland) board and had a BLAST!! Sure was a Sandy beach. I drove off

of the main Parking lot and parked and rigged in the super soft Powder sand (like Moon powder sand). Kinda a messy but heck maybe the last sail of 2019. At the Cherry Glen launch ramp area.

Started sailing at three and sailed till dark 5:15. Wow,,,what an adventure. De-rigged in the Almost full moonlight (moon is So High in the sky in Winter months),,it's like the best street lamp. Des Moines being 220 miles almost due South, means it's at a lower latitude than Twin Cities and Rochester, and thus the sunlight stays on longer (kinda like S. Padre).

Quetzalcoatl out.