Jim Oakes injured

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Randy

Jim Oakes injured

Post by Randy »

fyi, Saturday Jim Oakes broke his neck doing his infamous forward looping. A wind gust caught him and he landed in the sail. Fortunately, it was the perfect bone to break because it didn't cause paralysis and he's expected to have a full recovery. Please send your healing energy his way. Always better to get injured toward the end of the season. If you've ever been to the Gorge, you know this former Minnesotan has represented well with his stylie moves and flawless forward loops. Anyway, Jim, know we're all thinking of you and wishing you a fast, full recovery.

btw, Mike Winter and I had an awesome sesh at Byllesby yesterday with 20-30mph winds coming straight down the chute. Needed this one bad after a lackluster trip to Mille on Saturday. Have you started to wonder about how poor the wind forecasters have been lately? NOAA had a forecast of 5-10mph and most other sites were listing 10-17mph. Maybe the Koch Brothers have hired away all the good meteorologists.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
Quetzalcoatl

Re: Jim Oakes injured

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

I too, (Like Randy) had a pretty good sesh yesterday on Lake Pepin.

I didn't have the 20-30 mph stuff That Randy had a Byllsaby but...10-15 mph on my 10.8 sail and formula board was fun on Pepin!!

Eric out.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Sorry to hear about Jim. Hope he is in good spirits. Regarding the weather...the following is really messed up. 5G - NOAA states it could set weather prediction back 40 years! Here’s one read, plenty more to check out as well.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.washi ... utType=amp
Quetzalcoatl

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Thanks Pete, for putting out this very import "Report" (explanation) on "WHY" the weather forcasts have been all "Screwed UP."

"Screw 5-G!" (at least for weather reporting).

Eric F. out.
MK

Post by MK »

Ooh, never good to read about injuries. Speedy recovery and thoughtful to post up Randy.

Aug is statistically the lowest wind month of the year. Nice surprises keep coming though, like last Sunday! I thought the space launch of a weather device a few years ago would yield more accurate forecasts, not yet I guess.
Chris Lock

Post by Chris Lock »

Wow Jim, glad it wasnt more serious, take it easy and get better soon. Those vicious unpredictable gusts in the Gorge can be a challenge for even the best.
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Sending healing thought to Jim O. I was a gourmets in his home 16 years ago. He is so gracious and kind. Inspiring to watch him on the water.
Randy

Post by Randy »

Just an update. No surgery needed. Healing well. Still wearing neck brace, but saw a picture of him picking up a little one the other day.
Judd and I did Lake Superior Wednesday. 20-35mph, 5-9' seas. Tott Lot was too much for me and Judd couldn't get out with a foil with the bigger waves. I tried to regular windsurf it and have found that windsurf foiling has negatively affected my windsurfing. Such very different sports given the need for strong backhand pressure with one and a light backhand for foiling. We went to Flood Bay where the drop off is sudden. Both got out fine. I got too close to the cliffs, got caught with the windlift and came off foil. Pushed closer to the cliffs, the turbulence was brutal. I eventually washed up on the rocks, so glad to be alive today. No damage to body and minimal damage to equipment, but still shook up by it all. So grateful to live to do this another day and looking forward to hitting the water with Jim next year.
Really funky wind up here today....
IMG_1401.jpg
IMG_1401.jpg (288.48 KiB) Viewed 6220 times
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
Pete

Post by Pete »

Scary sounding situation Randy! Glad you made it out alive. My experiences on Lake Superior are minimal. Even though I’m able to bust through the shore break, and get out into the “freedom,” of open water, I find this sailing venue eXtremely Spooky! For me anyway, always on edge, anticipating the next wave that will pop up out of nowhere, ready to tear the gear out of my hands. Not really sure what draws me back when the stars align, perhaps the sense of accomplishment? It sure isn’t a relaxing ride when it’s nuking. You my friend have balls of Stainless Steel! Kudos to you and Judd for always taking on the challenge when the conditions are out of hand!
Bill S.

Post by Bill S. »

Pete speaks the truth! Brother Randy, you and Judd play with the Mother in some of her foulest moods, a feat of awesome daring and strength. Off Park Pointe I've had my rig ripped from me outside the break and flung a few seconds later on the sand 100 yards away. And then there is the water-logged swim through the rinse cycle. So often the NE wind up there come with a rainy, gray, vibe, which for me only increases the sense of risk. I've sailed and kited some big days on Lake Michigan, and broken a mast and lost a kite board in that lake's massive shore break, but by contrast they always seem a little friendlier than the Mother. Hard to articulate what it is about Superior that installs such respect, but if you don't respect the Mother she will spank you very hard. Glad you lived to ride another day.

Happy belated birthday, my friend!
Professor Robae'

Post by Professor Robae' »

Yes, Biffy and I have visited the Mother - at Tot Lot - a number of times in years past. It was definitely the gnarliest sailing I have ever done. But riding it was such an adrenaline rush. Great memories! Glad you made it out OK Randy.
Randy

Post by Randy »

Thanks for the positive. Comments mean a lot when coming from you guys. Celebrating with these consecutive wind days. The St Croix is spectacular
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com