Best Kites for Minnesota

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

garrett

Best Kites for Minnesota

Post by garrett »

Greetings everyone, I took a business trip to the Dominican Republic, and survived! While there, I threw my budget to the wind and took some lessons/rental to relearn kiteboarding on the water. It's reignited my interest in getting back into this sport in Minnesota, so here's my question:

What kites are best for the Minnesota wind climate? I know winds were usually light, so I'm thinking of getting something on the order of a 17m Flysurfer Soul, Slingshot Turbine, or an Airrush Ultra V2.
What's your most-used kite in your quiver? And does your answer change between summer and winter?
MK

Re: Best Kites for Minnesota

Post by MK »

Truthfully answers vary across the gamut based on brand loyalty, experience, ride style (waves, booted in, strapless, foil), and disciplines all used with kite/skills: Land: land board, buggy; Water: twin tip, surfboard, foilboard; Snow: skis, ice skates, snowboard, ice buggy. For example: snowboarders require a little more power than snow skis; snow requires less power than open water.

Therefore, any answers are quickly muddied with what people use in trying to make apple:apple comparison. Brand people answering are only going to be on point for their brand. Weight alone is a key factor of both the rider and gear, all of which pairs nicely when done right. Heavy overbuilt kites and boards appeal to the fear of breaking. Lightweight gear appeals to lower winds, racing, and something we all do - portage, even if it's from the parking lot to the access. Kites are meant to fly, acquiring the skill to keep from tomahawking your kite is valuable. Buying used gear likely abused is highly problematic and inadvertently divides the community of kiting. Buying used gear from a dealer or someone willing to back it up is ok.

Boards used are 1:1 with importance for pairing your ride.

Internet abundant with marketing language from both manufacturers and individuals trying to sell their own gear, stating how "bomb proof" it is. Evaluate the reality of phrases like this: although the intention is to help realize they can take some bumps they all will fail when set next to a bomb:
Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 2.50.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 2.50.14 PM.png (593.09 KiB) Viewed 1928 times
The internet also doesn't do an adequate job of helping sell gear that helps you grow. For example:
Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 2.10.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 2.10.36 PM.png (323.41 KiB) Viewed 1928 times
and SS Turbine:
Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 2.49.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 2.49.14 PM.png (726.88 KiB) Viewed 1928 times
What does this tell you about the surface you'll be riding on? Deep snow vs ice. Waves and wind with opposing current (Hood River vs Gulf of Mexico vs Waconia). The answer: it doesn't.

What does this tell you about the skill of the rider? With more skill you get more range of use, broader winds to use the same kite size in. New vs pro get different performance from the same kite. Again, the chart isn't of help, completely.

Ultimately buying for performance serves you best vs slaying the internet for deals. Happy to get you set up with gear that suits you. And, happy to get you a deal.

I'm interested in your kiting success.