At SPI last trip, "SMOOTH" is the optimal word on my mind...

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Quetzalcoatl

At SPI last trip, "SMOOTH" is the optimal word on my mind...

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Just back from SPI (Well, last Sunday night, Dec. 2nd) and I had two ripping days..(on 85 liter w/5.5 sail) and 6.5 and 7.5 meter days for other four days.

BUT;;;the important pt. here is, I realized that I must remain "Smooth" at "pre-gype" moment, and ignition and action of gybe and coming out of the Gybe I must

remain "SMOOTH!" There must be no other movement on the board except the power of the sail pushing or pulling the board. Feet movements must be done quietly! No

thumping down of the back foot onto the opposite rail when initiating the Gybe. It's even better (I feel) to NOT look at my feet or my hands when flipping the sail.

I tried to look at the horizon and just "feel" myself going through the gybe. Even better, is to not Fip the sail at all,,,just little the sail pivot around on it's own axis as you

go through the eye of the wind (when you are 180 degrees downwind) the sail should just pivot on it's own and "flip" on it's own and wait for it to come back into my hands. That

is what is supposed to happen in a "perfect windsurfing world."

So, in windsurfing we need to be "Smooth Operators" like in the song by Sarde. Maybe she was or is a windsurfer.

Quetzalcoatl (Smooth Operator wannabe) out.