Last Thursday at Clear Lake, IA waves were Narly!

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Quetzalcoatl

Last Thursday at Clear Lake, IA waves were Narly!

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Narly in a "messed up" sence. Yeah.. everywhere.forecast was for dangerous, death and destruction, Gusts up to 45 mph, Large hail, fire and brimstone, (what the H. is Brimestone?)

anyway,, forecasters trying to scare us! I went over the Border (into Iowa) and the Sun came out, burned off that fog on Clear Lake, and wind came up..so I rigged my 6.5 Ezzy and

then thought oops maybe too much,,but when I got on the water,,,all the flags were just flying but not much. I schlogged for 30 minutes, then came in.

I thought rigging bigger,,but then wind came up to "HURRICAN" speeds,,,,flags where shreading on the flag poles! "Oh no, now I've got to rig down. No..I'm not going to rig down.

So, I put a new rear foot strap (port side) on my bic 125 l. techno and went out into the Sunny stormy lake. The Techno (being longer) and skinnier than the Fanatic Shark (142 l) certainly handles

the irregular wave action on Clear Lake. But,,it was sloppy out there. Big waves (for clear lake) 3-4 ft and they just come in from all angles and slap into each other! This creates like small mountain
peak...not a slope type wave.

I got all my gear back into the car just seconds before the Torrential rain hit (with lightning all around). I had to get out of my 3.2 wetsuit and get cloths back on in the Downpour.

So,,,I banged around out there for one hour in these conditions and then came in,,,,cause a "real storm" was coming from the West.