Climate Change and Winsurfing, Foiling, Kiteboarding n futur

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Quetzalcoatl

Climate Change and Winsurfing, Foiling, Kiteboarding n futur

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Last few years...seems TO ME that Fall and Spring no longer yield the BIG WINDS for weeks at a time like they used to.

Summer was always "light air" (meaning 10-15 mph). But NOW,,,Summer light air means 5-10 mph (if lucky).

I know we'll get some good Fall days,,but maybe not like every weekend windy...Like in Autumns of over a decade ago.

But, once when Climate Change really kicks in (in a few years)....I think we may have Super Mega Winds in Fall and Spring like 40-50 mph every weekend.

So...be sure you have small gear,,,like 2.5 combat sails some 2.9 to 3.3 sails. Light boards 70ish liter will be the call for the day in a few years.

But always have you're Jumbo gear ready...for the 8-12 mph winds in Summers.

Remember: I (Quetzalcoatl hydrofoiled before hydrofoiling was cool). That's when I was on a Bic 283 Techno 152 liter board and a too big of a fin 62 cm. and I and board were completely
out of the water. Was fun, but I just couldn't steer! I just could go straight. So,,,I now know the reason for the foil, down in the water, with those wings gives you something to steer with it.

I know some say that I was "Tail walking" on my fin,,,but really same thing! I was out of the water, going fast! This was hydrofoiling without a hydrofoil.