Classic windsurf board nose "saved" by the deviator

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Quetzalcoatl

Classic windsurf board nose "saved" by the deviator

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

For 17 years I've never used a deviator on my "own" windsurf boards.

But now that I am passionate and feeling fanatic about getting my gybes "Just" right (means speeding fast gybes)

I've decided to use a deviator so that I can feel "almost" completely safe and sure that I can be as aggressive as possible when doing gypes.

This was proven on Sunday when I was aggressive (I was way overpowered) and was negotiating a gybe (with 28 mph gust and 7.5 sail) and Got catapulted.

The deviator did it's job! That boom head just got deflected to the side.

Remember, (before anyone says that I'm being a baby about using the deviator) I have NEVER busted any of my boards. Except once when I wanted to test the effectiveness of

a boom bumper (the "Boom Bra") and I deliberately dropped the boom onto the nose of my Techno 125 liter board and it did not work! It caused a small surface crack on the nose.

So in summary: in my experience the Deviator CAN proctect a board, boom bumpers not protect. However for the deviator to work (to deviate the booom to the side) you must

be unhooked from harness lines (which you should be unhooked if your doing a Gybe). You'll have many problems if you're hooked in when gybing.

If I'm not practicing aggressive Gybes, then I don't use a deviator. It does get in the way for general windsurfing pleasure.

Quetzalcoatl out. PS: Got wind?