The Carisma of the WEED fin...and why it's important....

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Quetzalcoatl

The Carisma of the WEED fin...and why it's important....

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

A windsurfer should always have a WEED fin in her/his quiver.

Some sailors take erroneous pride in saying,,,"I've never had to use a weed fin."

Well,,, just get one! There are many cheap used weed fins out there. If you like to sail different lakes (as I do),

keeping a weed fin with you,,will allow to sail on a weeded lake, should you discover that a lake has weeds.

It really only takes a strand or two of weed to get caught in you fin and you're speed gets substantially reduced!

The weed fin also functions as a Debris fin! I often repeat my early May (2013) story of sailing on Lake Pepin (at the Point) where there were lots of logs, flotsam and debris coming down the Missisp.

It was a great windy day, 4.5 and 5.2 sails are what most sailors were using. I used my weed fin and I had no trouble with debris. Ocassionally I hit logs and I just slid right over them. Within the
first hour of sailing, other sailors had accidents! One sailor (when hitting a log) came to an immediate "dead stop" and hit and injured his hip on the board.
Another sailor (with a sudden "dead" stop) when hitting a log, resulted in his passing right through his Maui 8.4 sail. He had to get a replacement sail and I was able to sell him an 8.5 Ezzy Freeride sail.
He thinks the Ezzy sail might be stronger, the next time his body comes diving towards his sail.

Anyway,,,don't be too proud,,,"Get a Weed Fin" You'll be glad you did!"

This is Quetzalcoatl, and I approved this message.