why MOST sailors lose speed during gybes...Most don't care?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Quetzalcoatl

why MOST sailors lose speed during gybes...Most don't care?

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Why do most windsurfers (during a gybe) come off their plane (planning speed) and "Just barely" make it 'round the gybe (after flipping the sail)?

Any thoughts, comments? I still myself can't say that I stay planning when gybing. I "like most" that I see do not keep up their speed and almost "stall" or

maybe just keep enough movement to keep afloat during gybe on the "sinker" boards. Maybe sailors don't care if they keep up the speed?

Even some of the Really good windsurfers here, usually "just" barely keep moving when flipping the sail and completing the gybe. I Can say that I have seen Peter G. (on occasion)

actually stay planning during a gybe! Another "sage" question: Why do we loose speed during the Gybe process? I mean when you think about it, during the entire gybe ya
still have wind behind you,,even at the moment of flipping the sail...why do ya loose speed?
Any thoughts?

Eric out.
Pete

Re: why MOST sailors lose speed during gybes...Most don't ca

Post by Pete »

Many vids online covering this.

Jen Hall carve jibe:
https://vimeo.com/92527705

Big board jibe: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1cIfarz8Amw

So many details.

Personally, I like to just ‘throw’ the sail, at the appropriate time, and focus on the board. The sail comes around and lands in both hands most of the time. Getting stuck with our weight on the tail of the board kills all speed so keep your weight centered on the board as you rip through the turn. Jem’s tips will get you through your jibes the way you want.

Time on the water!
Quetzalcoatl

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Thanks Pete! Great tips from you...and great video and explainings by Jem Hall.

In Hall's first images of gybing.he really just hangs on fast (with clue into the wind) and then just lets the sail swing around on it's own and

he just switches hands.

Nice to see he's sailing on a 5.5 Ezzy Panther!

Eric out.
Bill S.

Post by Bill S. »

Good advice is to always jibe in the biggest gust you can find and flip the sail early, before the apex of the turn. Many sailors jibe after rather than in gusts, wait to flip the sail at the bottom of the turn, and stall the board as it heads up into the wind. They jibe in a "J" shape by going in too straight, hanging on to the boom too long, and making a short-radius buttonhook at the end.

Think of the jibe as a "C" shape, with power captured early in the arc by sheeting in and bearing off, released by the sail flip in transition, and then recaptured by sheeting in and heading up. As with carving on skis and snowboards, the key to carving on a windsurfer (or kite board) is not in the upper body but the feet. Using your toes, get the board on edge at the top of the turn and don't release it till it's on the new tack. As Pete notes, the moment you switch your feet matters less than using them to maintain forward pressure.
Quetzalcoatl

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Bill, Thanks for chimming in and providing your additional "sage" pointers on gybing.

Quezalcoatl and Windsurfing (and Alpine skiing) on the Rise!
SteveJ

Post by SteveJ »

I had a couple of fun, great feeling, fully planing gybes on the race course with a Kona board that hardly lost any speed in the gybe on Sunday at the Worthington event. I encourage anyone who wants to improve to attend one of these fun MOWIND race events. You can learn a lot from the other sailors and really compare why others may be faster or have better techniques. Gybing wherever you want on the lake is one thing. Having to gybe around a set mark will really improve your skills. Add in a few others gybing in a pack can make our flat water lakes all that more exciting.
Steve
Quetzalcoatl

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Steve: It's great to hear that you participated in the Worthington Windsurf Regatta and Unvarished Music Festival.

I can see how being forced to gybe fast (with other sailors around you) can really make the difference.

Eric.
Chris Lock

Post by Chris Lock »

I like to visualize a gybe as closer to a 90 degree turn - entering on a broad reach and exiting on a broad reach for max speed - rather than a full 180 which can lead to rounding up and stalling.
Sheeting in while leaning the mast towards the center of the turn, looking around the front of the mast in the direction of the turn, flipping the sail early, and keeping the knees really bent with weight forward will all help greatly.