Quetzalcoatl's 3 steps to Waterstarting (easy)

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl's 3 steps to Waterstarting (easy)

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Still trying to Deep Waterstart?

Well, stay away from those technical and complicated Waterstart courses. Like Ted Dasher's 26 steps to waterstarting. Or

Allen Cadiz and his 14 Steps to Waterstarting.

Just do the "Queztalcoatl Three Step!"

1) Fly the sail.
2) step on board with backfoot.
3) step on board with front foot and push mast forward (so you head downwind for power) and GO!!

BUT...you must have a good breeze to EVEN think about Waterstarting! If the lake has whitecaps then conditions are right. Don't do it unless you have a 20 mph wind (maybe 18-19) and a fairly big sail (at least a 6.0, bigger is better).

And a floaty board like a a 140 lt. board. You need the big sail, so that it's EASY for the Sail to just PULL you up onto the board,,and then you respond or maneuver (let out on sail a bit) so you don't get pulled over.

Don't be shy (or too proud) to ask someone for some guidance. Once you do it,,,you'll do it forever!

If you see me...(yellow helmut on top of fisherman's visor and neck covering) ask me!

This is Quetzalcoatl, and I approved this message!