Next revolution: Windsurf Foiling

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Eric S

Re: Next revolution: Windsurf Foiling

Post by Eric S »

I was interested in working with Matt Wheeler this season to build a foil and fuselage to fit my Slingshot setup. Fun to see small operators getting a chance to shine and compete with the bigger guys at a competitive level.

Foiling on the rise too ;)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/wheelerwings/

Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Working with Wardog at http://SUPSports.com building a new foiling windsurf/SUP board. Board is based on his Mallet SUP shape. This one is 7'6" x 32" ~140L - decided to try a track instead of the ProBox for the mast - this should allow swapping more foils in and out easier, currently I have Slingshot H5 and H2 wings and GoFoil Maliko 160 from last year. I'm thinking of getting a quiver of new GoFoil wings - even the big Maliko 280 to see what that might do for downwinders. I'd also like to see if I can use a very small sail and get the rig foiling just by pumping in super light wind using mostly leg power, probably just a dream :)

I'm also thinking of getting an adhesive foil mount to slap on the bottom of my Go 150 that I kind of messed up last year trying to push foil possition from the rear tuttle too far forward with PowerPlate - cracked so I'll Puka Patch it up and slap a foil on it if someone is interested in trying this new angle on windsurfing out this season, just hunt me down!

Mock up...

Top on the table...

Bottom...

Top and Bottom outlines...

Foil track that Wardog is deciding to use...

Tuttle adapter from the guys at http://Foilmount.com (related to American Kiteboarding in Houston - good guys!)

Anyway, that's it... for now ;)
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Wardog is almost done with the Mallet! Deckpad and shipping - should have it by wet water time. Also going all-in on a full set of GoFoil wings; Nalu, Kai, Iwa, Maliko 200 and Maliko 280

I'm planing on selling my current setup (seen in picture) SUPSports 9'5" Hammer with Maliko 160 - if anyone is interested in learning Foiling. Great and will keep you busy all year and provide a great platform for regular paddling and light wind windsurfing swells on the lakes. Hoot!

Hammer Time (drone shot - Tighe B)!

Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Well hell fire! Here it is - the new Mallet from http://supsports.com with added sail and foil tracks. Added a couple of grab handles too - see if that helps, helped on the Hammer to get in and out of the water with the big foils. Hoping to get down to IA this weekend and give it a test run. Randy J in another post was down there already :)

Join the revolution! ;)

Quetzalcoatl, plus you can put regular fins on it to and windsurf it - or so they say, we shall see!
Randy

Post by Randy »

Eric, the St. Croix is great for foiling. I'm heading to Stillwater now to see if the wind kicks up enough, but Sunday looks pretty good for now. Hoping to see that new toy in action. Looks pretty sweet!!
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Randy wrote:Eric, the St. Croix is great for foiling. I'm heading to Stillwater now to see if the wind kicks up enough, but Sunday looks pretty good for now. Hoping to see that new toy in action. Looks pretty sweet!!
I've never sailed there, looking forward to it. I'll look for a report but maybe more smart is to hunt down your contact info. I've got Judd's somewhere. Has he been on foilboard yet? He's soooo goooood on the skateboardSailing that he'd be a natural on the foil haha!

See you on the water my inspiration, mentor and friend!

-eric
Professor Robae'

Post by Professor Robae' »

Ha! The Mallet looks awesome Admiral!

From first glance - It looks like it perfectly fits your personality! (totally meant as a compliment!) :D

Can't wait to see it in action!

Fun fact: The Admiral and I went to Minnetonka High School together 38 years ago, lol
Randy

Post by Randy »

Today and tomorrow look doable from Bayport Park launch. Sunday/Monday look good from Stillwater. My cell is612 5900970.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Thanks Randy and Rob! It's so great to stay connected with you guys thru the years. In my absence I thought a lot about you guys and the rest of the windsurf/kite community. It's good to be able to participate and hopfully give a little back. Far less than what was given me but I will make the effort :)

Quiver of GoFoils scheduled to arrive today. Tomorrow I'm thinking about skateboarding in morning then a hardware run to ready myself for the first foil adventure of the year.

Thanks for your cell number Randy and See you on the water soon Robae' !

erics 6one2 seven9zero double6double1 text or call.

ps, I think ice season has closed out for me this hear. It was truely a great year to be back on the ice. I learned sooo much about the new Cloud kites I'm using, litterally ever session! Here was the closer from yesterday - entertainment value only. Rob and my friend Tom G at the end. Tom said that he's learned to kite recently and mentioned that he was grateful that the westside gang took him under their wing - I'm sure this includes Rob :)

Link to video (ice out not far away me thinks!) http://downhaul.com/kites/180426sandyBe ... 26-web.mp4

Randy

Post by Randy »

Forgot to reply to your question about Judd, the master foiler. He's pretty amazing at kitefoiling and quickly adapted when he tried my windsurf Kerfoil setup. It's been great to ride with someone of his skills, comparing the pros and cons of the various toys we use. Yesterday was typical 5-20mph, so another great foil session at Bayport's Lakeside Park. The water's so high that it's a grass rigging and launch from the sand beach. In summer, it's a bit more challenging launch. NW is a little side off, but still works nice. Heading there again today with a stronger forecast and may end up there again on Sunday/Monday. Small debris to pay attention to, but no dead cows or refrigerators like a few decades back.
Attachments
IMG_7893.jpg
IMG_7893.jpg (89.47 KiB) Viewed 10004 times
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Wow! thanks for replay and great picture and writeup. Stoked! I was considering going to to Clear lake on Sun but might head that way instead. I've got your number and will connect tomorrow. I've also got the 2 foil boards so maybe Judd would like to check out last years board while I struggle with the new one ha!

Talk soon and big mahalo and aloha
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Whoa Nelly! I wedged on the GoFoil Maliko280 to the Hammer 9'5" and took it for a spin yesterday on Waconia in very light wind (no caps) - This this gets up and flies in the smalles puffs and was using a 5.3 Ezzy Taka2 - SOOOO FUUNNNN! I schlog around upwind, wait for a puff and fly around, come in for landing and do it again.

I'm gonna make an effort to have 2 boards with me and am considering selling the one pictued here with last years Maliko 160 - Come out and give it a try !

Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Foiling from windsurf board has been a staple this season for me. Also doing a lot of kite foiling. I've found that I'm really having a lot of fun using the biggest wing (Maliko 280) and smallest sail I can get away with (so far 4M Ezzy Taka 2) and really using legs to pump onto foil along with sail. Once flying, it seems I can keep going, finding little bumps to ride down and leg/sail pump slightly downwind to catch the next puff of air - No whitecaps in sight, maybe slightcaps ;)

Friend Casey on Lake Erie making his own boards and refining and dropping gear and technique that are not needed - The approach I'm taking as well. Feels more like surfing in a line-up (which I have never done ;) )

In super light wind, schlog up wind till the wave set and wind puff conspire and you pump like mad and ride the puffs and wavelets till you run out of gas. Repeat the process all day long. The ride downwind is TOTALLY worth the effort and observation put in getting upwind into position.

Here's Casey with no need to wait for wind, blowing pretty good and using 3.7 M Naish designed for foiling (3 batten I think)

Link to YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/DIejADqnK3c

Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Taking it into the waves! Giampaolo Cammarota

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtXmGL ... GNxzauTIug

Eric S

Post by Eric S »

since we're bumping 10 year old posts up, I thought I'd bump this one back up ;)

Wyatt Miller long interview stoking out on WindFoiling - come fly with the rest us ;)

https://gleiten.tv/index.php/video/acti ... /page/436/