Board Repair - Questions and Answers

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Eric S

Board Repair - Questions and Answers

Post by Eric S »

I posted this over on End of Session too. Not sure where everyone is hanging out now. Thanks for any advice!

====

I was paddling last weekend and ran into a snow fence stake someone had left planted near shore. That was a god dang suprise. The board stopped and I went flying off and did a back flop since I thought I hit a rock with my fin or something. Back flops hurt less than head flops in the rocks. After I re-emerged from the water I realized I was in about chest deep. WTF, where i the rock. I turned my board over expecting to see a scuff or something and this is what I found...

The gashed area is about the size of the palm of a hand, perhaps slightly bigger.

So now what the F. I'm at least a mile from the launch and barefoot. I think for a while... why not try sitting on top of it upside down and see if I can paddle. I mount the board and shift my ass around and find a spot where I can paddle about 1 mile per hour at 3 strokes per side. This will be a long cold paddle back.

Finally I find someone out putzing in the yard and beg a ride back to the launch. Thank you Jack A, your thank you card is in the mail.

So now what? I've got some Solarez and Puka Patches but I think this repair should be a real one done by someone that knows about board repair.

I appreciate any ideas or options.

Thanks!

PS, for fun and to help me not kill anyone I made a little video with a character I'm trying to create called Tucker Bachman. Here he explains what happened:

http://downhaul.com/paddleboard/2016101 ... fAhead.mp4
MK

Re: Board Repair - Questions and Answers

Post by MK »

Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Thanks Mike! I'm gonna try some thing called puka patches and some filler to see if I can get another few sessions this year then maybe take it to someone to fix it right. It's a great board to fish from, paddle and you can also hook a windsurf sail on it.

-eric
Professor Robae'

Post by Professor Robae' »

First of all: It's good to hear from you - Mr. Admiral! How have you been? The gang misses seeing you at Waconia!

Second: "tis but a scratch - It'll buff right out!" :lol:
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Professor, I miss you guys too! After getting injured about 10 years ago in the George I got into some deep problems with chemical abuse/misuse and retreated from sport and life in general mentally, physically and spiritually. With help I have discovered a way back from the abyss, perhaps a temporary respite as one never can know the future, but for now; recovering from damage done and trying to live peacefully.

So, that's what I've been doing in a nutshell, ha! I hope you are doing well. Also, I think I found out where you live as I was driving to the lake one day and there was a yard sale with a lot of crazy ass toys there. Some had a name on them that was the same name I know you by :)

See you on the water brother!

PPS, gonna try some puka patch and putty tomorrow and roll dice for temp fix. Kokotat dry suit finally fits again.
Professor Robae'

Post by Professor Robae' »

I'm glad to hear that you are in a better spot Eric! Yes, come on out to Waconia the next time the wind blows - see you then!
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Thanks Rob, we'll see you soon, probably on the ice :)

I finally got the board back on the water, also posted this on the endofsession site. Hope it might help someone in the future. We'll keep an eye on those Puka Patches...

====

I finally made the repair after finding some stuff; old tube of solarez, new utility knife, old seal puller and some XL Puka Patches. It's a hack but it got me back on the water and it's acutally a pretty solid repair. I hope to get this into a shop for a cleaner fix that may be more UV resistant this winter. For now PADDLE. I'd like to try this an my smaller 9"1' Fanatic AllWave next year with a small kite :) I need some practice this winter on snowboard. It's been a long time since playing with either of those toys.

Sequence of repair for anyone interested:

For fun I tried to pump air into the board. No water was coming out

Dive right in and cut away broken bits... Spreader.. STAT!

Peel away scar tissue, clean and sand up a little bit

Fill with some Solarez and try to level out (I was messy)

Bring out into the dying sun to try to cure enough to patch

Watch the shadows grow

Cut and place Puka Patches, wipe out any air bubbles like wall paper

Toss the board on the car and hit the lake!