Mille Lacs Kite Crossing March 6-8

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Tighe

Mille Lacs Kite Crossing March 6-8

Post by Tighe »

This annual event is coming together. This is the event of the year. Open to everyone, from the interested or newbee to the most hard core. The race is a big part of the event but only part of a weekend of freeriding, competition and activities. Sponsors have come together to make this event happen, including great swag giveaways, great gift certificates, and more. The guys from Gopher State are going to be doing chip timing for us to help the race happen without a hitch.

Preregister at Fleet8.com to get the lowest price and to get the event shirt. (shirts are not guaranteed for onsite registration.)

Hope you can make it. Always a fun weekend of play.
Attachments
flyer.jpg
flyer.jpg (288.2 KiB) Viewed 9127 times
Tighe
chilepin

Re: Mille Lacs Kite Crossing March 6-8

Post by chilepin »

Looking forward to it. These three from DC will be there.

Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Great looking forward to meeting you guys.

Still haven't Pre-registered? Here are three really good reasons:
1) Prices go up on Weds, You Save Big Money, Save Big Money, when you shop Fleet8 ; ).
2) Shirts are only guaranteed to those who pre-register. (supply is limited)
3)You know you're going, so just do it already.
GO TO FLEET8.COM and Get er Done.
Tighe
chilepin

Post by chilepin »

We're registered. Thanks.
Cory M

Post by Cory M »

Nice photo! Watch that updraft on the monument :shock:
chilepin

Post by chilepin »

Cory M wrote:Nice photo! Watch that updraft on the monument :shock:
Technically it's a no fly-zone, but been ninja-kiting there for 10 years. Updraft is not a major concern. It's the downdraft from Marine One and other helis. Although they make nice wind machine when they land :twisted:
Marine One:

Last year pic and WaPo article when a police heli landed near the White House south lawn.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/cap ... os-photos/
Matt V

Post by Matt V »

Love the pics! Glad to hear that you do not get hassled too much since you are just a little kid flying a toy kite and having fun sledding on the snow. Sometimes, what we do sounds so innocent when discussed in court. Just pray that the judge keeps a video of snowkiting out of the courtroom.

Mille looks to be getting enough to entice me up there. Glad for everyone committed to it. I am leaving tomorrow for Mille or Skyline but cannot decide. Gas is cheap enough to do both, but the keep bugging me at work about actually working.

Workins' for chumps!

3/2/15 11:25PM Up here at mille now. Definetly need this snow to happen. I will update this tomorrow with what it looks like in the daylight.
MK

Post by MK »

Really cool pics. I got to do that. Snow band hitting now. Winds and temps along with a few more days will keep the surface a mystery yet. Even if icy still the surface will be fast so less tiring:-) I've got a wax station ready if you wish to get that done on the spot for best surface wax and efficiency. Hit me up to get scheduled. A few in line for 8am Saturday morning already at the Garrison Inn. If you want to get them done then bring them in your room Friday night. More here a few posts down: https://www.facebook.com/lakawamn See y'all in a few days!
Matt V

Post by Matt V »

No bare spots on Mille visible from the road at Garrison. Drove 150yds the Garrison Sports access and got high centered in my mini-van. Hope they plow the road soon. The ramp did get plowed a bit and is accessible to cars. All the locals here are calling it 5" so far and it sounds right as I only have 4.5" of clearance and my pan was rubbing the whole way.. Windy with dust devils a long ways out may keep me off for a while. This should be the best racing conditions ever if the wind cannot move the snow off of the small ice patches that were visible last night.

If you snowboard, don't forget your knee pads.

I should have put some snowfence out last night to make some kickers. Right now, they would still be growing. It worked great down in Omaha on a 3" snow with 25mph winds as it fell.

Todd,

I am up for helping build kickers the old fashioned way from now till I start drinking on Friday.

http://www.lakawa.com/post60827.html?hi ... nce#p60827
Attachments
0205141535.jpg
0205141535.jpg (430 KiB) Viewed 8844 times
0205141534.jpg
0205141534.jpg (420.3 KiB) Viewed 8844 times
0205141517.jpg
0205141517.jpg (379.07 KiB) Viewed 8844 times
Professor Robae'

Post by Professor Robae' »

Selling some 'Crossing Killers' 225cm DH skis - see them in Classifieds.
MK

Post by MK »

What a fun time! I snagged a photo of you and wanted you to get it. Nothing too rad but keep in mind kiting is pretty rad even on it's most basic level:-) It's in here: https://www.facebook.com/lakawamn/photo ... =1&theater