Boards & Bindings Discussion

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

KitingKen

Boards & Bindings Discussion

Post by KitingKen »

Hey all, last year was my first on the water and looking for some advice now that I've got some practical experience behind me. My Slingshot board seems to fall off very easily no matter how tight the bindings are. Maybe that's good for safety? Maybe my feet are too flat and skinny (they are)? I don't see being able to do any kind of wave jumping or tricks without the board coming off. And kind of annoying to take a little fall and have to chase the board.

I've heard of making a heel strap from bicycle tire tubes...also see lots of options for bindings all the way to full support like a wakeboard. Since we use full bindings for wakeboarding, why not for kiting?

Anyone else having a problem with the board coming off? Advice anyone?

Thanks!
Ken
Tighe

Re: Boards & Bindings Discussion

Post by Tighe »

If you have really narrow feet the SS bindings may not be the best choice. From what I've heard the best for narrow feet are the Liquid Force straps. I never use a heel strap and rarely loose my board. There are boots, but I'm not sure I would try them at the level your are currently at. Most straps/pads should be able to made tight enough to keep the board from falling off accidentally, comfortable, and will come off before injury. That being said it's hard to make one strap/pad combo that works for all feet. If you can't get yours snug, then check out the LF straps and pads.

good luck
Tighe
Matt V

Post by Matt V »

I second the LF straps. I don't own them, but I have used others and the work with booties great. If I was to get another set of bindings, it would be LF's.

Other good bindings are the Cabrinha "Co-ax" because they lock down my feet for the roughest of landings. Much more locked for my feet than the LF's, but a bit less comfortable. Still, they hold when you need them to and do not come off when you don't want them to. Remember, we are all bootie wearers by necessity down here.

Bad bindings are:

Best (others have complained here on the Looower Wesssst Sieeeed)
Cabrinha "Sync" (slip out extremely bad)
North "Vario" (slip out moderately bad)
KitingKen

Post by KitingKen »

Thanks for the suggestions! Sounds like what I'm experiencing with the board slipping right off isn't normal. I'll take a look at the LF bindings.

Curious has anyone tried using a standard wakeboard or skis or anything else on their feet? What kind of experience was it?

Ken