Ice Not Safe

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Chummers

Ice Not Safe

Post by Chummers »

I was out on Calhoun as recently as Monday kiting in the 50s temps on the soft surface of the ice and it seemed fine everywhere. I was thinking of going out again tomorrow until somebody sent me this article about a drowning in Burnsville:

http://www.kare11.com/story/news/local/ ... d/7202827/
slopecat

Re: Ice Not Safe

Post by slopecat »

I was out on White Bear Lake on Monday afternoon, launching out of Ramsey Beach. I figured the ice was still plenty thick and quite safe. After I got ripping around I made my way past a number of areas where there was a recent hole from a fisherman. They were all frozen over but I was shocked at what I saw. Every one that I stopped and took a close look at showed much less ice than I was expecting.

I didn't have a tape measure with me but I estimate all of it was between 2.5"- 4" thick. Much, much less than I was expecting. The surface of the lake was not dark which indicates to me that it is very thin. Looks can be deceiving though. After a little more riding I realized that I was the only person I could see on the lake and that is quite rare. Hmmm, I got to wondering if I was being stupid or not.

I caught the story on the news about the break-through yesterday. The one I saw had a police officer telling the public to call 9-1-1 if you saw anyone out on a metro lake.

I doubt I am going back out there after we have had a few more days of warm weather. That is too bad. I had a great session. It was my only one on the soft ice and it was a lot of fun. I keep hearing about the long, long, terrible cold winter we have had. This is my 4th winter kiting and looking back at my log book I have had one or two April sessions on White Bear every year until this one. I don't think the ice is going to last any longer this year than it has in recent years.

Be very careful when heading out.

Mike
Iceman

Post by Iceman »

The man that went through the ice was on a 400 LB 4wheeler and yea the ice is not safe. And the ice is not safe ever. Keeping that in mind I just got off Wayzata bay I had a blast 15+ miles. I did walk out and checked the ice just like I do every year. I found 16 inches of ice everywhere I checked. And the 15 miles I did I never saw thin ice. Does that mean it is safe NO.. Would I go again YES keep in mind I will test the ice again. This time of year bring your ice picks and anything else you have to be safe. The surface was soft for about 1-2 inches just does not get any better than that. If you do not test the ice do not go the ice is not safe. But it sure is fun.

Iceman
Dave
Drvermin

Post by Drvermin »

The guy that went through the ice and drowned also was on a pond, those thaw faster. And it also had nearly 30' of open water around the edges in spots. Sorry, but Darwinian genetics wins in this case.

I checked the lake near me and the ice fisherman coming off the lake said there was still a solid 2' of ice last night.
fabrino

Post by fabrino »

so the big question for tomorrow is to go or not to go?????
I would like to go out but possibly not alone..
Calhoun maybe?
Iceman

Post by Iceman »

I will be hitting Wayzata bay at about 10am should be fun.

Iceman
jerlane

Post by jerlane »

I am also interested in the collective wisdon of the group. I was considering going out on Calhoun today as well.
jerlane

Post by jerlane »

Well, I survived Calhoun. Nice afternoon out there. Snow and wind were both great. The ice was thicker than my ice screw so that was good enough for me. (I threw some spikes around my neck just in case;)).