Winterizing My Dump Valve

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Barry P

Winterizing My Dump Valve

Post by Barry P »

My kites have dump valves made of clear vinyl plastic. Every winter when its cold the stoppers are hard to get in and even harder to get out. Inevitably I rip the top off the stem of at least one before spring gets here.

I've got a solution... a winter stopper. I made a little washer the goes inside the stem, drilled a hole through the top and washer, slipped a length of Q-Power line through and sealed the whole thing up with Aquaseal. Pop it in, leave the stock stopper hanging, wrap the line around and velcro as normal. On deflate, you can pull it out with no threat of damage.
Attachments
plug1.JPG
plug1.JPG (380.86 KiB) Viewed 3433 times
plug2.JPG
plug2.JPG (361.73 KiB) Viewed 3433 times
Mike W

Re: Winterizing My Dump Valve

Post by Mike W »

Good idea, Barry. Thanks for the tip.
BSMITH

Post by BSMITH »

Nice!
enderbeanz

Post by enderbeanz »

My dump valves have the same problem and I am nursing a tear in one right now that hasn't fully come away. Easy to do in warm weather, but I know it will rip off completely this winter. I'd like to use the same fix you show here. Looking for a bit more detail on how you did it.

1.) Is the valve plug/cap you added the washer and cord do the original valve plug from the kite that tore off? If not where did you get the new one to modify?

2.) How did you make the black washer? Rubber?

3.) Why did you use aqua seal? Because it is soft and compliant? I thought I might try some two part epoxy. I wonder if that will be too rigid?

Thanks.

-Kyle