Tomorrows Conditions

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

StrutWear

Tomorrows Conditions

Post by StrutWear »

Going into this weekend I am excited to have a full day of kiting with good wind. The frustrations of the sport has me thinking I should be catching some of these night rides (haven't tried yet). I'm hoping that there is some measureable snow tomorrow morning to freshen up the terrain a bit. Has anyone been up to Mille Lacs lately? What kind of conditions are up there? Speaking of Mille Lacs, Will there be another crossing/freestyle this year? Im looking forward to it.

Oh also, does anyone have the gopro camrig mount? I have one I haven't put to use yet and am wondering if there are any tips or tricks people have found to work better. Do you usually have to reverse the lens so its upside down? Have you ever tried sliding the mount high on the kite? Ive seen different videos out there, some good, some bad. How about the settings on a Hero3 Black edition.

thanks!
Drvermin

Re: Tomorrows Conditions

Post by Drvermin »

"Oh also, does anyone have the gopro camrig mount?"

I am getting one in the mail probably today. I researched it and I have seen then in use a lot in NC. I believe you not to change the camera recording. The one I am getting is a center mount where the camera is in the middle of the mount. You just have to put it on the lines right side up.

The other tip I have seen and it is kind of critical, is only attach the plastic clips to keep the camrig in place on one side of the Camrig. Do not put these on the safety line, only the other line. If you pull the QR, you want the kite to depower. This dude explains it well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFWxQ6AcgfA
StrutWear

Post by StrutWear »

Yes, I believe I did see that video that you are posting (cant view it at work). Well good luck on using yours. I assume the only problems I will have are battery power. I have two batteries. I think ill just leave one plugged in charging in my car while the other is in use.
Cory M

Post by Cory M »

Green Lake in Wilmar looks promising for tomorrow as of current forecast
StrutWear

Post by StrutWear »

Well earlier today the forecast looked like high winds. Now I look again and see nothing but an average day with not so much. I guess it's another weekend without. :oops:
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Beautiful day, think there may be enough to ride. Keep the faith. The system that was to roll through today just got moved forward. Tonight might be good, or a dawn patrol.

Cam mounts are great.
If you have a Slingshot with Split strut you'll need develop your own system as the strap cannot wrap around the strut (cause it is part of the canopy. ) Email me and I can help you develop a mount if you have a SS with Splitstrut.
Here's a gopro video shot from the kite from last year:
http://endofsession.com/2013/02/20/wint ... innetonka/

The Kite Crossing is still on the year. Here's a short write up and gallery. It is the 10th annual and we've putting a lot of effort into making it the best ever. Hope you can join in. If you are on FB there is a Crossing Facebook page as well.
http://endofsession.com/2014/01/05/10th ... -crossing/
Tighe
fabrino

Post by fabrino »

yes man frustrating.. it is a beautiful day, there is a lot fluffy stuff but the wind doesn't show up.. what a waste..

I saw though a kite on the med webcam.. do ya think is rideable??
let's keep the faith for tonite or tomorrow...

ride on!!
slopecat

Post by slopecat »

I figured there wasn't going to be enough wind today so I didn't plan on going. Later in the morning it was blowing decent enough for a large kite so I headed up to WBL/Ramsey. I set up a 14m foil strapped on my board and went OK for a while. If I had only got there 90 minutes sooner...

I got out to the middle of the lake and knew was going to have trouble getting back. Should I walk back from there or keep going? Downwinder?? I was getting a nice pull in one direction and nothing the other way. Was there something weird going on or is it just my not-so-developed board skills? I don't know.

I figured I would try to get to Mahtomedi beach and look for a ride back. I made it almost 3/4 way there then had a long walk to shore. Then I repeared most of that as I found I was missing a glove when I got in. If I had only got there 90 minutes earlier!! Winds were about 13then. I kind of struck out, but it was my first ride on the snowboard this season and it was fun while it lasted.
Drvermin

Post by Drvermin »

Slopecat went out on WBL this afternoon and he texted me and taunted me to get out. So I gave up my afternoon nap and headed out with my new Turbine. Pulled the wrapper off, pumped it up (geepers that takes a while even with a electric pump), attached the lines, hooked in and up she went! Jumped in my skis and then had about the most perfect hour+ I have had riding to date! Other than a few fishermen, Slopecat and I had the place to ourselves! I even had to do some considerable downwinding to get back to may starting point and I ended up skiing right back to my ice screw and gear! Woo-hoo! No walk of shame!

Thanks Slopecat for poking me and getting me out there! When I got there I checked the winds and average was 6.5 mph, top of 10.3 and bottom of 3.5 mph. That was measured on a Windtronic II so it should be pretty accurate. At the end of the session (I always check to see what I actually rode in) it was up around 8, gusts to 10.5 and bottom of 4. Turbines rule! :mrgreen:
slopecat

Post by slopecat »

I didn't think I was going to get a ride in today. Mid afternoon I checked again and I saw the trees wiggling. Weatherspark showed current reading about 10mph. Since most of my gear was in the gear I jumped in and headed for WBL. I saw some decent wind on the flags and and down Hwy. 61 so I was hopeful even though I felt nothing at home.

When I got to the lake there were flags on shore that were blowing. I walked down to the shore but just couldn't feel anything. It looked OK to drive on so I hoppen in the van and went out about as far as I though I could without getting stuck. When I got away from shore there was a good 9-12mph on the surface. After having a dud of a time yesterday I was hopeful the wind would be steady and not drop off. It was consistent from 3pm to dark and I had a great time. I am so glad I decided to head out.

Got my buddy to join me after a few texts and he got his Turbine in the air for the first time. He did great with it and we had a great time. Yesterday and today were my first times out this season with the snowboard and I had a great time. After 12.5 miles my legs were shot and I had to call it a day.
Attachments
The Slingshot Turbine saves another session.
The Slingshot Turbine saves another session.
turbines.3.jpg (73.16 KiB) Viewed 6346 times
StrutWear

Post by StrutWear »

That picture looks deceiving by the way the lines are going out with both of those kites. ha ha. I got out yesterday and was on the board for a little bit. staying close to the tipups that a friend had out in the area I was kiting. Most of the time was spent just boardless flying it and trying to get some air on the Gopro. I'm glad I also got out! I didn't end up using the Camrig line mount since the wind wasn't very strong. It seemed to want to sag quite a bit which would have probably thrown off the video shot. Ill try again when its at least 10-15 consistently. Only one tip up flagged but he missed the fish. There were two vehicles stuck in the snow that we helped out. if you don't have clearance and 4wd, I would stick to the roads only.