Wanted: Terrain Dead or Alive.....

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

magicninja

Wanted: Terrain Dead or Alive.....

Post by magicninja »

Anyone know of any good open terrain with rolling hills or any kite friendly geological features to play on within a reasonable drive from the metro? Would love to take advantage of Sunday's wind with a option other than flat ice. Thanks peeps. George L.
Matt V

Re: Wanted: Terrain Dead or Alive.....

Post by Matt V »

General rule of thumb for terrain is that you will need some snow for it. The best terrain is always covered with some form of deep grass. Over grazed pasture will just blow off on the windward faces all the way down to the cowpies and bare dirt. With deep grass, you will need a good 6" snow to fill in and set to make the base. On top of that (assuming there is at least another 6" of grass sticking out to hold snow) you need your topping layer. It is best for this top layer to be another 3-8" snow. I am always hoping the grass is sticking out a bit to provide some contrast and visual reference. This top layer can be either set or loose.

If you try to go out in new snow with no set base in deep grassy areas, you will not go anywhere except straight down to the tangled crowns of the grass clumps. I have done that many times and it is no fun.

For spots that may have enough snow with a base, but will be kind of a drive, try:

Glacial Lakes State Park - I have not kited there but it was discussed after the Kite Crossing last year and there is snow according to Intellicast's snowcover map

Fergus Falls - SE of town along the interstate there are some public areas that look decent with lots of grass to hold snow. Again, I have only looked and not touched.

Definitely share if you do find a good spot.

Anybody tried the public area just north of the Afton Ski Hill? Not much terrain with regards to steep, but it could be a good beginners terrain spot.
MK

Post by MK »

I think this map is barely scratched but already has loads of info. If you do go forth and investigate, report back and I'll update it: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?vps=2&i ... 09a8b059f4
LuvDaPow

Post by LuvDaPow »

Crow Hassan Park out west is a great spot. You have to walk through the woods to get to the fields, but the terrain is nice! Here is the addy:
Park Preserve Rd, Rogers, MN 55374
paul-b

Post by paul-b »

We were able to get into some fun stuff on the west side of Pelican lake by St Michael, last year. We probably need more snow though. We might go out to Pelican Tomorrow afternoon.
magicninja

Post by magicninja »

Thanks. Good info here. I will be checking out Glacial Lakes area soon and will report my findings. Let's keep this thread rolling and find more winter terrain spots for us eager powder hounds 8) . A excellent beginning to the season. Next couple days are lining up.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

A group of us went up to glacial lakes and stayed in the camper cabins last year. Need a lot of snow to make it work! But it was good kiting!

This was the area where we started kiting: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=45.53666 ... 2&t=h&z=16

Some of the best hills were over here.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&vpsr ... -95.508878
Bryce

Add to google map for MN kiting spots!
Minnesota Kiting Map
enderbeanz

Post by enderbeanz »

I have been tempted to try out kiting at some of the State Parks that have open prarie landscapes, but have been hesitant due to the off trail nature of that activity. Does any one know what the State Park systems stance is on non motorized human activity off trail....kiting, snowshoeing, CC skiing, etc...?
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

I didn't ask when I was there.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/ ... rails.html

For snowshoes it says anywhere in park except groomed ski trails.

It also says:
Your footprint on the park:
Please practice the "Leave No Trace" philosophy. Thank you!

So be respectful and nice to the staff and I don't think there will be any problems!
Bryce

Add to google map for MN kiting spots!
Minnesota Kiting Map
Matt V

Post by Matt V »

Bryce,

Did anyone try on the east side? It looks like there may be a spot to park and the terrain looks a bit steeper. It looks like epic wind lips would form on the lake just west of the quarry off of the road there.
Attachments
Glacial Lakes SP 1.jpg
Glacial Lakes SP 1.jpg (97.46 KiB) Viewed 7465 times
magicninja

Post by magicninja »

Checked out Glacial Lakes State Park Saturday morning. Wind was blowing NW at 15-20. The area still needs about 6-8 more inches of snow to be ready to go. It is a mix of soft prairie grass, and these gnarly scrub offshoots that would be hard to ride through. The rideable terrain once filled in would be awesome. These pictures are entering the park and show just a tiny portion of the park. It's like a moonscape, can't wait to get there with more powder.
F.Y.I there's Lake Minnewaska 10 minutes away if you get skunked at the park and it's a big lake with a good fetch. I kited there after leaving GLSP.
Sorry pictures won't load to big...
Last edited by magicninja on Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paul-b

Post by paul-b »

I went skiing out at Crow Hassan last weekend, and it is starting to look pretty good.