Wind on Sunday

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

dave12341234

Wind on Sunday

Post by dave12341234 »

So I will probably be down in the cities Sunday. Looks like there's gonna be a ton of wind. Where does everyone ride on a NW?
"You can't buy happiness, but buying a kite is very close"
JRN

Re: Wind on Sunday

Post by JRN »

If it isn't a giant slush-bowl by Sun, the SE quadrant of WBL may work. Sometimes that corner is accessable from Mahtomedi.
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
dave12341234

Post by dave12341234 »

shoot, ya i wasn't even thinking about the rain...
JRN

Post by JRN »

Dry-suits & kiteboards w/o fins? It is probably awesome back on your home pond. Such is the irony of kiting, and the weird karma put forth by the fickle wind goddess. Join hands and sing along with me, "Ma rye yah, mu rie yu, they call the wind, MARIAH." :wink:
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Eric P

Post by Eric P »

Looks like better snow conditions up north. Heading up to Wahkon Bay today. Hopefully it did not get all slushed out yesterday as well.
Eric
dave12341234

Post by dave12341234 »

Poplar, Wi- local field today up north. no slush, warm, 2 fresh inches of snow!

Have fun!
jrjohnson1

Post by jrjohnson1 »

Me and 2 other kiters had a great day on White Bear Lake today. After yesterday's rainfall, the snow was surprisingly in great shape. About 6" of soft snow with a slight layer of slush underneath. Strong winds, warm temps, and a great surface made for an excellent day of kiting. I was amazed more people weren't out there with us today.... strange.
davepark

Post by davepark »

Hit Wayzata bay on Sunday and it was pretty much all slush. I was on skis and it was like trying to turn in wet cement. Our session lasted about 15 minutes before packing it in. There was a Sheriff deputy sitting at the beach making a strong case for not driving on the ice so I complied and walked out.

Anyone know who owns the remaining ice boat that is sitting on the ice by the beach? They might want to move it before the Sheriff does.
slopecat

Post by slopecat »

jrjohnson1 wrote:After yesterday's rainfall, the snow was surprisingly in great shape.
I was thinking of going all day but I didn't think the snow would be in good shape and I didn't hear anyone saying they were headed out.

I will try to get in a session this afternoon at Mahtomedi.
dave12341234

Post by dave12341234 »

Yep, exactly... like kiting through wet cement. :x

Tuesday will bring better conditions...hopefully
enderbeanz

Post by enderbeanz »

My cousin and I decided that the wind was good enough to make it worth messing around with the less than ideal snow conditions. Rode the south end of Turtle Lake in Shoreview (ideal for minimal walking) for about an hour before another crew of about 6 came and went throughout the afternoon. Snow was a little heavy and I thought there would be so much suction/friction you couldn't ride, but it made for some decent kiting. I think if there had been any less snow cover there would have been puddles, but all the fresh snow acted like a sponge and distributed the rain fall evenly throughout the surface.
slopecat

Post by slopecat »

slopecat wrote:I will try to get in a session this afternoon at Mahtomedi.
I went but I didn't think it was very good. There was plenty of wind, but the surface wasn't much fun. All the tracks you guys made yesterday were frozen soild and really rough. No fun riding over that or skidding over the rest of the smooth ice crust. I left after about a half hour of riding.
peterrib

Post by peterrib »

Rode Washington w Jerry and Rick for a couple hours than had to do a work break. The conditions were pretty good.
Slush below but plenty of snow for good riding. Hit Ripley for another session and it was better than Washington. No tracking to
deal with as no one has driven on the lake since the last snow. Tues is looking promising. :D