Lake pepin conditions?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

n-mod

Lake pepin conditions?

Post by n-mod »

Just wondering if anyone knows the conditions of lake pepin? Is the ice safe? Is there enough snow? My buddy and I are thinking of heading up there today.
jyetley

Re: Lake pepin conditions?

Post by jyetley »

Things are very good. Ice is plenty thick, but every area must be judged on it's own. Snow is very good, but it's melting down. But still very good!

I know one kiter there now. I'm planning to kite tonight after dark. And three of us will be there tomorrow! Give me a call if you like. 507-421 ten ninety two Jason
n-mod

Post by n-mod »

Cool thanks! I will write your number down and if we decide to go I might give you a call.
jyetley

Post by jyetley »

Today's latest response is that the snow has melted down considerably, but it's still doable. 2" crusty. Winds right now in LC are not all that strong. I'm in Rochester now and will be going to the east side reservoir between 5 and 8. Call me.
jyetley

Post by jyetley »

We had a great time today! Snow cover north and west of Hoksila State Park is 4-6 inches. Enjoy!
n-mod

Post by n-mod »

Was there really enough wind today? I was thinking of going but looking at the weather stations they hardly had 6mph average and it looked gusty.
Pete

Post by Pete »

The weather station(s) located actually in Lake City is/are very innacurate for current conditions. Completely useless!!! The wind today was blowing in the high teens gusting to higher twenties. For wind forecasts for Pepin use i-windsurf and/or Windalert (Red Wing). For current wind use Windalert and look at the readings around Lake City but NOT in Lake City.
jyetley

Post by jyetley »

Kyle give me a call 507-421-ten-ninety-two! Or look me up on FB. (kiters, wind Slaves Kite Club, or my personal page) Let's kite the river!

Saturday was awesome. Left Hoksila State Park Beach on a 12m Nitro V2 and a Spleene 159. Definitely needed the bigger board during the first hour, but once I made it up to the Point in Lake City it wasn't necessary. Cruised around the race course during the keel boat races. Compared my angles, speed and vmg to the j70s, j92s, j30s, and one j105. At times I could blow them away at others times I struggled. Glad I wasn't being scored, because 6 to 9 mile races would have killed me! All in all a great day!
Mike W

Post by Mike W »

On my way home from dropping my daughter off for college, I stopped in Lake City for a quick session. Launched right off the point. Have windsurfed many times there years ago, but never tried a kite launch. When the river is at normal water levels a solo drift launch is no problem there. The spot is rocky, but nothing sharp. Always fun to try a new spot.
n-mod

Post by n-mod »

Thanks for posting Jason. I was having troubles finding that page. I joined the group. I can't believe you needed your big board. We headed up north of you to the sand bar point by Frontenac. We had consistent 25mph+ winds. I was a little overpowered on my 10m Switchblade and 146 plasma, but overall an awesome day. Let me know if you want to get together to kite sometime. I'm free most Thursday afternoons to Sunday. My number is on my facebook page.