Sunday, 1/13 @ Medicine Lake

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Futahaguro

Sunday, 1/13 @ Medicine Lake

Post by Futahaguro »

So I went out at the French Park boat launch with my hockey skates and brought the Sami II 5M and the Apex III 10M. I was meeting an old student of Lakawa, about 3 years ago, Mark Dzik, who has a 15M Naish of some sort. We left his kite packed up until we got comfortable on my 10M. The temp was about 10F with 7-10 winds, NOAA said highest was 14 sustained with 16 gust and avg 8mph. The ice was actually quite good, a bump here, crack there, but overall I never did a faceplant;) I had flown my 10M once before this, last Tuesday when I lost my remote, but only for 15 minutes or so because of learning things and untangling lines.

This time I didn't have any tangles, yay, and I was able to launch it easily. I still don't have an ice screw but I first laid out the lines, then went back to the backpack and pulled out the kite, and then skated quickly back to the bar:) Advantage ice skates. Immediately I was moving on skates! It is WAY different than butt scudding! I had a BLAST out there. The winds were on the higher side when I started because I was having to work HARD when fully powered and trying to tack. My outside leg was BURNING.

Mark did great and the Apex III is a very easy kite to fly, land, and launch, both forward and reverse. It doesn't seem to turn that fast but I have not flow anything else. I did try flying my 5M Sami II but I had some brake line twists and could not control it so I put it away. However, in the small test flying I did, that thing seems like it turns ALOT faster than the 10M and had a surprising amount of pull!

We inflated his kite but seeing as how I didn't like the old bar, lack of satety features, and that I have not done this enough to know how to rig the lines on an LEI we put it away. I had it at the edge of the window but before I would ever let go of that thing I wanted to make sure it was working and rigged correctly. **I guess we had it rigged correctly but it seemed wrong to me. I had it rigged with the outside bar lines to the "brakes", "trailing lines", whatever, and the middle lines to the leading edge. My toes were popsicles anyway.

I will post some vids later, after I edit them so everyone isn't totally bored watching them, but here are some pics.

MK - I padded up!

enderbeanz

Re: Sunday, 1/13 @ Medicine Lake

Post by enderbeanz »

Futahaguro. I have observed from your pics that your spreader bar is attached to your harness in a fashion that most people would consider upside down. Unless you have preference for riding this way I would recommend flipping it over so the hook faces the ice, not the sky.
Futahaguro

Post by Futahaguro »

enderbeanz wrote:Futahaguro. I have observed from your pics that your spreader bar is attached to your harness in a fashion that most people would consider upside down. Unless you have preference for riding this way I would recommend flipping it over so the hook faces the ice, not the sky.
Thanks. I usually fly with it down but once he was hooked in and flying it I noticed it was upsidedown so I left it.
MK

Post by MK »

Fun to read Eric. Thank you for the details and pics. Mark has that OMG look on his face :lol: You both likely know this but he should have a helmet on. Looks like you both had good fun! I hit WBL on Saturday with Jason Yetley for a few hours on the switchblade attachment. The lakes are in perfect condition for this or ice skates.
Futahaguro

Post by Futahaguro »

MK wrote:You both likely know this but he should have a helmet on.
Good point. I had a hockey helmet in my car that I should have had him strap on. Head+ice=Bad.

I will try to get the vids out soon. If I wanted to spend more money, and boy is that easy when you are starting out:), I would buy some short track blades for my Bont inline skates. More stability at high speeds;)
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

Futahaguro -

I have some long Nordic Skate blades with downhill ski bindings mounted on them for the ultimate in fast ice riding. I call them the "Skates of Doom". :twisted: They are for sale if you or anyone else is interested. The ride over small ridges, rough ice, and snow patches much better than hockey skates and have a much longer blade contact area.

If interested, you can contact me at: m_bares (AT) yahoo (DOT) com

I also will post in Classifieds after I take some photos.
Midwest Mountaineering/Ozone Team Rider
Futahaguro

Post by Futahaguro »

I got the video up. Now, for those that bother watching the whole vid, not the most exciting in the world, please correct me on any misinformation I spouted:)

It doesn't look like I can embed video. https://vimeo.com/57469436