Going to Hawaii, need some info

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

n757ct

Going to Hawaii, need some info

Post by n757ct »

I will be in Honolulu on the 11th through the 13 of this month, and was thinking about going over to Maui for a day of windsurfing.

Any suggestions on where to rent gear, and any recommendations for an instructor if I want to do a little work on my technique?

Also, is there any worthwhile windsurfing locations near Honolulu?

Thanks
Chris

Re: Going to Hawaii, need some info

Post by Chris »

I've rented from the Naish pro center on Maui (and other places on Maui too). I think there is also a Naish pro center on Oahu -- that's the Naish headquaters -- I think.

So you might stop in or call the one on Oahu and sign up and if the wind's not that good maybe they can apply a credit to maui and you can get on a puddle jumper (short flight) and rent from the maui store. The maui store is close to the main Maui windsurfing beach and they are both close to the Maui airport.

I took some lessons on Maui when I first started. It was the school out if the Hi Tech store in Maui (they rent gear too -- lot's of brands).

I think Mat Pritchard (Pritchard windsurfing) also teaches. He's a top pro and I suppose he would be good for advanced instruction. I think he also supplies gear. You can google Pritchard windsurfing for contact info.

I'm sure the instructors at Hi Tech are good too --such a huge talent pool on that island.

The Niash center might be able to supply an instructor too.

I don't know where you are with windsurfing, and you might already know this, but the main thing on maui is to match the gear with the wind. If it's blowing 4.0 and your not a super pro like andy, brian, mike peter, john, tim, rob (left anyone out?), you need to be on a 4.0 and an 75 - 85 liter board. The shops usually give you one board and two sails. You can't start windsurfing on Maui's main windsurfing beach (kanaha) untill 11:00 because of folks snorkling and spearing fish. And even more so than here, maui forecasts are unpredictable. And 5 hours of windsurfing is a lot. So don't pick up your sails until 11:30 or so. That way you'll be more apt to get the right sizes. And get them at least a meter apart (a 4 and a 5) (or a 5 and a 6.5). or (3.5 and a 4.5) ...

If you get there early, drive to the beach, check it out, maybe drive to the rental center too (and get signed up) -- they're all close to the beach. Fuel up. then around 11:30, go to the rental center, have them check the wind and help with your sail sizes.

Some times it really cranks at 2:00 or so. If you're over powered you can drive back and switch sails, or just take a break. It usually eases up at 4:00 or so.

Hope you get wind. This time of year is less reliable than june/july/aug. And sometimes if there's nothing on the north shore, there might be wind on the south shore (kihie) -- if that's the case drive to kihei and cruse up and down the hwy next to the ocean until you see cars with gear.

And, in all cases, you need to rent a car that can hold gear. Little wagons and hatch backs work.
Randy

Post by Randy »

Great info, Chris. You pretty much captured it. My two cents would also be to plug Naish Pro Center. Coach and crew have always been amazing at helping me get the right equipment for the conditions. This is a great time of year when you can get the good surf and wind conditions. Jealous.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
n757ct

Post by n757ct »

Thanks, Chris - I went for a day with Matt Pritchard.

Appreciate the info.

B