Stayin Local This Wknd?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Cory M

Stayin Local This Wknd?

Post by Cory M »

I have some events that are keeping me in the cities this weekend instead of heading to the crossing. Anyone been out on the city lakes after the snow? Waconia, Tonka? How are the conditions? Any one else going out on Sat?

Thanks!
wyatt

Re: Stayin Local This Wknd?

Post by wyatt »

I won't be sticking around this weekend, but I did take a snow day on Wednesday and went out to Waconia. It was about three inches of snow on top of three inches of slush. I was the only one out there, but the conditions were super buttery at the time - you just don't want to spend too much time sitting down. With all of the slush on top of the ice, it's really hard to tell what's firm and what's not, but I didn't encounter any problems. I did note that someone has marked an open spot about a half a mile from shore.

Enjoy it while you can!
This space for rent.
speedsailor93

Post by speedsailor93 »

I was out on the West side of Waconia today.....about 2-3" of slush in many places and several open water areas so be really careful if you head out. It was not much fun in the slush so I ended up going to the football fields which were a blast with good snow cover.
zheton

Post by zheton »

first i went to 109th fields.. i haven't been there this year yet but with all of the corn sticks it doesn't look any good) So i decided to go to medicine lake.There is lots of slash on the south-side and i was about to give it up, when i decided to check Wayazata bay. WOW!!it turned out pretty well! the top layer of snow is hard but it just makes landings way smother)) . Have anyone been kiting Wayazata bay on west winds in summer time?
cericson01

Post by cericson01 »

I have to stay local as well tomorrow, anyone going to be out at Mtka tomorrow? I am thinking late morning early afternoon. I would do medicine but it sounds really slushy, but may be able to be talked into going there if anyone is going there.

Chris
Cory M

Post by Cory M »

Thanks for the reports. Thinking I will launch from deephaven beach in the morn. Never been there though so not sure how far of a hike out of the bay. Could be tough in slush.
Cory M

Post by Cory M »

Headin to waconia instead. Looks like a pretty good hike to get beyond the point in deephaven
Eric P

Post by Eric P »

Hey Cory, when are you going to get out to the Wac? I might join you.
Eric
JERRY

Post by JERRY »

There was an excellant snow surface on the east side of Washington yesterday. Heading back today :)
"The Pessimist complains about the wind; the optomist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." William Arther Ward
peterrib

Post by peterrib »

:D Best snow and wind of the season on Washington today!! 9m kites
and lots of smiles. Jerry, Rick, & Peter
Geo

Post by Geo »

6-8 of us at Robinson's Bay on Minnetonka this afternoon. Good conditions 9M-13M kites up, decent snow, and even some sun!
Slush not a factor - just a little bit near the shore (and not even an issue there.)

If there is ANY wind Sunday, it is still worth checking out.
Cory M

Post by Cory M »

Waconia was super fast. Slush not a factor either. Snow was a bit lacking but able to keep a nice edge with the board and make some good turns. Needed something smaller than my 11 most of the morning. Eric was on his 10 and posted 34 mph on the gps.
Rick R

Post by Rick R »

snow or water kite. Jerry wussed out and stuck with the snow, fun day at Washington
Rick
Attachments
jerry.png
jerry.png (194.47 KiB) Viewed 6967 times
MK

Post by MK »

Good to read the reports. I think I'll give Wayzata Bay a go this afternoon 1-2pm ish.

Heck of a showing on Mille Lacs Saturday. Lots of fun, lots of kiters. Good to have some community time. Look for pictures being posted in here and on http://www.facebook.com/lakawamn

I'll report back later tonight with surface conditions.
enderbeanz

Post by enderbeanz »

Made it out to ride Calhoun last night from 7-10. I was pretty desperate to get out. This was the only time I have gone all winter and I knew today was going to more or less be the end of the snow season. Great wind speed. Surface was pretty bad maybe an inch of bonded icy stuff with plenty of wind blown patches. Kited east to west and didn't see any open water. Lake looked pretty solid. Realized I forgot my pump so I couldn't put up the 13 m ended up using my 6m foil with my board and I was powered nicely with the fast surface. Nearly a full moon and the lake all to my self. My first night session and likely the only one of the season. My kiting soul has bee restored.