Kiting on Medicine Lake today

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

MK

Kiting on Medicine Lake today

Post by MK »

I have a few lessons and the winds look to be coming up nicely in the afternoon. They also have an annual Ice Shanty Art festival kind of fun to visit. It's like ice houses in an uber arty display. I think they sell hot chocolate and cater well to curiosity. May be a good option for you to kite and your family to investigate..
Ric

Re: Kiting on Medicine Lake today

Post by Ric »

Hi :
Where is the best entrance for SE winds today? I waslooking at the area of three rivers park (north side of the lake) Is the snow pack decent to try with skis??
ric
Lloyd K

Post by Lloyd K »

Going to Medicine about noon if there is any wind. Doubt the snow has bonded much, but at least it is something to do. Parking at the boat access on the north side of Three Rivers Park. Way too much traffic near the Ice House display for me.
pepe

Post by pepe »

will be there around 1:30 pm
Last weekend I walked out after seeing a small river in the middle of the lake!?
How think is the ICE now? Is it safe?
Pepe
slopecat

Post by slopecat »

I am headed out too. Should be there by 2pm, but not sure were. Will look for the access on the N end.

Mike
magicninja

Post by magicninja »

Kited north side of medicine today. Early on snow was deep enough to edge a bit but sharp skis were a definite. Excellent wind, best spot to ride was right through the bull rush reed beds as the snow all got caught there. Pretty bare by the end of the day. Hope we get some snow instead of freezing drizzle. Let us all do our snow dances. George.
MK

Post by MK »

Nice to see all the kiters. I spoke with a local fisherman at about 8:30am. He was bringing his son out for the day and said it's avg of 12" ice all over... I saw 2 trucks through out the day driving on the ice.

I ended up chasing students across the entire width and lenght of the lake on the sled without concern. The season is on!

Best snow by sundown proved to be east side near the Ice Shanty village and West side at Clifton E. French 3 rivers park area. Rest of the lake was 50-70% snow coverage. A good sticky snow will do us all some good for both the fields and lakes.
Halichopter

Post by Halichopter »

slopecat wrote:I am headed out too. Should be there by 2pm, but not sure were. Will look for the access on the N end.

Mike
Mike,

Today I had my first abortive attempt at kiting on the wrong side of Prior Lake (south side). Should have checked the board and gone to Medicine Lake.

Hope you had a good session. Which kite did you use?

Hal
slopecat

Post by slopecat »

Hope you had a good session. Which kite did you use?

Hal
It didn't go as well as I hoped. I made a few passes across the bay but I felt a bit out of control on the ice. I was really hoping there was more snow. Others were out with some pretty big kites but I was flying a 5m foil. I was only there for an hour.
bmr

Post by bmr »

It was great to see that many kiters on Medicine...along with the Art Shanty activities it turned into an awesome first session.

Peace.

http://vimeo.com/35787701
Have kite, will travel.
MK

Post by MK »

Nice work!

I'll be out there again today. Winds look good and surface decent. I know a few others coming out too.

Did anybody try the Airstream trailer converted into a mobile sauna? It's compliments of the Ice Shanty art village. They will be there again today.

Enjoy your ride!
Ric

Post by Ric »

Where is the best acces to the lake? I am coming from the Nsubs on 169. For west/nw winds where are you guys going to rig-up?
Thanks
Ric
Halichopter

Post by Halichopter »

Had an awesome ride my first day kiting with a two hour lesson by Chad. Thanks Chad!