SUP and Sail

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Randy

SUP and Sail

Post by Randy »

http://www.minnesotastanduppaddleandsail.com

After being at the swap, it's quite evident how we can change over more than twenty years. Yet, it's overwhelming how the spirit of riding runs deep and seems to strengthen with time. We change our tools, but the ride is the ride is the ride. We spent a couple months on the West coast this winter and the winds were pretty light. I had previously put blinders on to SUP thinking it was just another gimmic to sell more boards. Usually I'm quick to the party with new ride vehicles, but must admit, I was pretty slow on this one. I was in Maui when they were developing this and am once again humbled to the slow learning that comes from my closed mind.

Anyway, living on the coast and training under Matt, from Central Coast Standup Paddle in Morro Bay, CA, I was amazed at the joy and peace I found in both SUP surf and flat water. I had thought I was wind and water stand up and discovered I was air and water stand up. It's such a blast to show up at the water and be free to meet what's there. I know many of you are far beyond me in trying this. For some it's the last thing you need, another ride vehicle. But if it perks your curiosity, I'd highly suggest checking it out with any number of schools in the area. I'm so smitten with it that I want to share it with others. For those of you with significant others who don't windsport, it could be a great way for them to join you in the fun of a destination trip.

Jerry Sandel turned me on to land SUP at the swap. Couldn't believe how it felt, working the same muscles as on the water. Anyway, I'm on the east side, living in Forest Lake, and I won't be retailing these, just lessons and rentals. Seems the west side is well covered and I look forward to future collaboration. I'll have boards for demo at the Worthington festival June 10-11, and if you're on the east side and want to coordinate with me and other riders for a free lesson/demo, let me know and I'll build a call list. Definitely looking forward to it as a great accessory for Superior when the wind dies.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com