Perfect Medicine Lake winds lining up for tomorrow

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Barry P

Perfect Medicine Lake winds lining up for tomorrow

Post by Barry P »

Cold but wonderful NW tomorrow. It should be good from the South Beach.
davepark

Re: Perfect Medicine Lake winds lining up for tomorrow

Post by davepark »

How is Medicine for a beginner? I had some real good rides out there this winter but I have not had much success on the water. I live in Golden Valley so it is nice and close.
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

I like your zeal.

The East and south shore has some nice sandy shallows that are pretty forgiving (150-300 feet).

As a beginner, I don't recommend going out there tomorrow. Cold air, cold water, shore line filled with hungry trees, winds forecast for 17-25.... nope, another day would be better. With strong wind, any false move gets resolved really quick, not much chance for correction before whatever happens.

Mille Lacs is WAY BETTER for learning and well worth the drive and the wait.
davepark

Post by davepark »

Yeah, I was thinking it would be too windy for me. Just filing the info away for the future. I hit the Malmo area several times last summer but never got a real good ride. Either too windy or not enough wind for the 12 meter. The winter runs this year have me feeling better about kite control but still want good conditions for my skill level. I am looking forward to testing the new NPX 6/5/4 wetsuit though............
reutersju

Post by reutersju »

I have never kited medicine lake, where is the launch, thanks -chad
davepark

Post by davepark »

The park is on the SE corner of the lake. I 'think' the name is Sunset Park, but not 100% on that. The entrance is on 17th ave. off of the west frontage road.
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

It's called "East Medicine Lake Park".

Pretty crappy out there today. I'm going to shorten the honey-do list.
BBAddict

Post by BBAddict »

Had a great first session on Medicine today. Good wind, easy launch with a nice beach and a short drive! Great local spot for that wind direction, but it doesn't seem ideal for a lot of wind directions. I think NW is it for me. NW gets pretty darn good on the Wack too though. Regardless, thanks for the heads up.
pepe

Post by pepe »

This was my season opener. It was a short session for me after 30 min, when I stopped feeling my fingers and it was time to get out and worm up. Will be shopping for new gloves.
I agree with you on the wind direction for Medicine, NW is the choice.