Kitesurfing Calhoun and City lakes(wack & wbl)

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Nathan B

Kitesurfing Calhoun and City lakes(wack & wbl)

Post by Nathan B »

I have to apologize if this thread was taking the wrong way as in no way shape or form would I ever teach or promote kiteboarding on calhoun and I am not saying I want to ride on calhoun.
we have some politics with teaching and promoting these lakes(wac & wbl) as spots that are safe for beginners. which some of us feel they are not. we are not trying to kill the stoke of the sport we only want to preserve our sport.

Very safe kite. really safe to learn on for tight launches and small areas to ride.
http://www.airush.com/blog/airush-access-video
Last edited by Nathan B on Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.
scottman

Re: Kitesurfing Calhoun and City lakes(wack & wbl)

Post by scottman »

Is this about calhoun or the WAc or Wbl? I think this would be a good discussion to have, I think the big problem that you are going to run into is that some people think that if there isn't anything illegal about kiting Calhoun and they want to kite it they will. Fortunately not many people have kited Calhoun but a few and with no incident speaking in the summer sense. Personally i feel the winter time is just as dangerous as the summer on Calhoun, most people will disagree with me but the same thought's go through my mind of a kitemare in the winter as in the summer, the outcome would be the same or could be the same, i think the lake should be legally banned period for all kiting, but thats just my opinion.
scottman

Post by scottman »

May 4.
wilderclimberdude

Post by wilderclimberdude »

I could do May 4th.
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

May 3 or 5
avery

Post by avery »

3 or 5
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Might be useful to have an agenda and post it up for the people that can't make it, not all the MN community can come down to a meeting in the cities either. I might write something up and send it your way. And post or email or something the results of what you guys talked about... I'd be interested to hear!

Bryce
Bryce

Add to google map for MN kiting spots!
Minnesota Kiting Map
MK

Post by MK »

May 4
bmr

Post by bmr »

4th :mrgreen:
Have kite, will travel.
Nathan B

Post by Nathan B »

Last edited by Nathan B on Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

4th or 5th works for me.

Since this may effect kiteboarding in Minnesota as we know it, please try to attend.

I see this meeting as a positive step forward.
Tighe
Diego

Post by Diego »

May 2 or 3
Dean Rizer

Post by Dean Rizer »

Think there should be an agenda so key topics are discussed, moderator? time? Location? Re Calhoun, I think Summer kiting presents much greater hazards ( to non kiting lake users) than winter kiting. Over 150 bouys in NE corner, 3 active beaches close to only potential shallow launches. Kayakers, sailboats,fishing boats, 3 fishing docks and hundreds of pedestrians. Tall buildings that cause gusty unstable winds condidions, thick patches of milfoil and trees around the shoreline.
JimPat

Post by JimPat »

May 2,3,4 work for us.
Jim & Patty
RV Team Riders
Waconia, SPI, Hood River
952-457-8939
RobH

Post by RobH »

Hey Nate,

Appreciate the effort, as long as its a later start (6 or later) I can make most week nights. Im hoping that if anything comes out of this effort it will be to preserve our rights to kiteboarding our lakes. I think we can learn from what has happend to kitespots that have banned kiteboarding and work to ensure that doesnt happen here in Minnesota.

Thanks again,
Rob
Rob Hyland
Cabrinha Shop Rider / Lakawa Team Rider
pepe

Post by pepe »

4th
davepark

Post by davepark »

Nate,

I think people that are new to this sport would like to get a better idea of what the issue is and why you are asking people to attend a meeting. Almost everyone that has posted a reply to this topic so far has been a member of the site for 3 years or more so I assume they all have some historical knowledge on what is going on. Just a few quick bullet items describing the issue would help us newbies so we know what we are supporting (or not supporting).

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Dave Parks
davepark

Post by davepark »

Well, I just saw your post in the Nearby Wind & Kitesurfing spots thread. I think that pretty much brings me up to speed.. Thanks for taking the time to put the meeting together. That week of May 3rd looks good for me.

For those that want the background............

http://www.lakawa.com/lakawa-chat-f1/ne ... 13431.html
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

Unfortunately those meeting times are right before and during finals week so I won’t be able to make it down, I would however like to participate in this meeting… could we use a service like skype or go to meeting for those who can’t make it down?

I vote 14th or 15th

Kiting issues in MN are very important to me, but I can’t sacrifice my education for it. :(
Jon Stroh
rookie

Post by rookie »

Im in agreement, that I see this meet becoming a hot argument, with no conclusion. Therefore I recommend an organized agenda. I see having two votes, the first vote in the beginning of the night, that everyone will agree to settle this debate with another vote after the debate is over or at a certain time. With majority winning.

Voters must have two years kiting in this community (they have a better understanding of the possibilities of kiting), and everyone gets a max of 5 minutes speaking

Or, vote on a committee to represent our kiting community. To handle issues like this.

Im happy to see this kiting committee has been pro active and has stuck together in the past. Our launch sites are very limited here. Making them very valuable. There banning kiting at many beaches, because of the liability. We as a community should try to keep the liability to a minimum. And in the future come together as a group and try to secure some of our favorite sites.

May 12th

ride on, Rookie ~