Need a wetsuit?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

smrsco

Need a wetsuit?

Post by smrsco »

Happy spring everyone!

I just noticed there are some awesome wetsuit deals on Seshday.com so I thought I'd pass it on. They've also got some slingshot kite gear up now. It's a site like The Clymb and Gilt Group. You can use the link below to get a membership (it's free).

Can't wait to see you all back on the water!

http://www.seshday.com/invite/?r=22661
adamel111

Re: Need a wetsuit?

Post by adamel111 »

I ordered a 5/3 Kite suit after seeing the link. I am super excited cause I've been lacking a decent warm weather suit for quite some time. I hope the hyperflex suit is good quality - although for hte price it doesn't even have to hold up that long. Does anyone have input on HyperFlex suits?

Adam
Adam Anderson
scottman

Post by scottman »

The hyperflex suits are the deal man when it comes to wetsuites, you don't even feel like you have a suite on it's so comfy and they are really warm, I won't buy anything else anymore other than Hyperflex.
adamel111

Post by adamel111 »

Hot diggity - I'm stoked to get my new suit now. Glad the potential government shutdown won't affect the postal service.

I knew I could rely on Lakawa for recommendations. This will be a major upgrade from a 10 year old long pant/short sleeve spring suit (which I think is a 2/2).

Adam
Adam Anderson
scottman

Post by scottman »

Your gonna love it man!
jerlane

Post by jerlane »

Thanks for the post SMRSCO. I have not seen this site before. I ordered one of the hooded 5/4/3 front zipper models. Should be toasty. I figure if the hood is overkill I call always chop it off.
scottman

Post by scottman »

I have the one with the zipper in the front without the hoody, it's toasty!
jerlane

Post by jerlane »

The hoodie seemed to be the best bang for the buck and had the most sizes to choose from. Hopefully it won't take too long to get here. Anyone ever order from this site before? The site says 10-14 days to ship.
scottman

Post by scottman »

That would probably be there standard ground, you can always pay the difference and get it to ship any way you would like it to ship.
scottman

Post by scottman »

I believe Steve Blain is still a Hyperflex Rep here in Minnesota, you might want to try and get in contact with him, I think he's in SPI right now.
steveb

Post by steveb »

Peter at Midwest Mountaineering has Hyperflex in stock. Safer to try on for a good fit locally than buying on the web. Support your local stores.
Mike , Lakawa School, is also selling some Hyperflex.
Jeremy at Velocity kiting also sells Hyperflex.
So you have 3 local choices.
www.hyperflexusa.com for the full range of gear.
Regional Ozone Team rider
magicninja

Post by magicninja »

Larry at Scuba Center on Penn has Hyperflex in stock, I bought one from him last year, he's always willing to bargain a bit. He has some hyperflex gloves and booties also, but I went with kitesite.net and got some Neil Pryde 5000 6mm high cut booties with upper and lower velcro straps. These feel Awesome and you can actually drive the board with your toes, almost feels like bare feet.
I'm still looking for suitable gloves and hood to integrate with a ocean rodeo pyro pro lite. Anyone use the Dakine cold water Neo Mitt? Leaning towards that or mystic dry glove. Gonna check out that link to seshday and see if they have anything. Peace out, Ice out
cericson01

Post by cericson01 »

I am new to the sport having just started on the snow in Jan. Winter was a blast but now I am ready for the summer. I want to get an earlier start on the season so I can get out more, my question is what type of wetsuit and other protective equipment I would need in order to get out early and start figuring out the water side of the sport?! I cannot afford a "quiver" of wetsuits etc, so what would be a good all around setup, thickness, etc? Any opinions would be appreciated so I can make a more informed decision.

Thanks,

Chris
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

I have been using the Dakine neo mitts for about 6 years now and love them! Just ordered a new pair from the house.

Chris,
I would strongly recommend a baggy dry suit. The reason is that you can choose the amount and thickness of the layers under the suit based on air and water temp. They also offer better protection from the wind than a wetsuit. Ocean rodeo makes some good ones... I have the pyro pro, but if I had to buy another I would go with the pyro lite.

I stopped wearing my wetsuit about 4 years ago and will never go back... unless I tear out a seal in my dry!

One more thing you need to keep in mind is that with a dry you will have to replace seals from time to time. I ride Lake Superior and use mine all season so I end up replacing all the seals every 2 years, in the cities you will get a few more years out of the seals since you won’t need it all season.
Jon Stroh
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

I just tried my Hyperflex AMP 5-4-3 (with hood attached) yesterday at Clear Lake, IA (ice cream headache water temps).

Almost no leakage at all, and way toasty. The flex is in these suits is really great. I never felt any restriction at all.

When I had the hood up and did a face plant or came face up from underwater on launch, hood seal around my face would permit water into the hood. Once up part would drain out and part seeped down into the suit. That was the worst leakage, but it kind of felt good too. On falls with the hood down, almost no leakage at all. I didn't expect that.

The air temps were very warm down there. To get a real read on the suit's warmth, I need to give it a go at Park Point on a howling 40 degree day.

I have tried the Kitesurf specific suit (AMP-K with the Velcro closes at the ankle) but prefer the normal ankle. I thought the closes were too thick and would stress my ankle tendons in a long session. So I just wear my bootie tops on the outside... works great, no ankle balloons.
jerlane

Post by jerlane »

Hey Barry,
I'm curious about the fit of this suit. The website says they run small and to go one size up. Did you find that to be the case?
Thanks!
Barry P wrote:I just tried my Hyperflex AMP 5-4-3 (with hood attached) yesterday at Clear Lake, IA (ice cream headache water temps).

Almost no leakage at all, and way toasty. The flex is in these suits is really great. I never felt any restriction at all.

When I had the hood up and did a face plant or came face up from underwater on launch, hood seal around my face would permit water into the hood. Once up part would drain out and part seeped down into the suit. That was the worst leakage, but it kind of felt good too. On falls with the hood down, almost no leakage at all. I didn't expect that.

The air temps were very warm down there. To get a real read on the suit's warmth, I need to give it a go at Park Point on a howling 40 degree day.

I have tried the Kitesurf specific suit (AMP-K with the Velcro closes at the ankle) but prefer the normal ankle. I thought the closes were too thick and would stress my ankle tendons in a long session. So I just wear my bootie tops on the outside... works great, no ankle balloons.